cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moscow World Cup

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Moscow World Cup

Hi, long time reader but have never posted before. I am wondering if anyone, particularly from USA, is going to Moscow next summer for the World Cup? If you are going, how would you do it? I figure a few days in Moscow and maybe a game or two in St Petersburg? Anyone get tickets already or have a rough itinerary they'd like to share? Thanks!
4 Replies
Internationally Known

Re: Moscow World Cup

I am not going but spend as much time as you can in Saint Petersburg.

The first 20 or pages of my travel narrative are devoted to this city.

You can get it for free here:

http://olivertrojak.com/sitting-in-rasputins-chair/

Also, its easy to get to and from Saint Petersburg via Helsinki by train, so I would consider flight options there to see if they are cheaper.

Not sure where you are flying from but via NYC area, r/t fares to Moscow are typically under $500 USD.

Good luck!

// Oliver

Nationally Recognized

I'm not going, but I've traveled around Russia a good bit.

The World Cup would be a great time to travel beyond the typical foreign tourist targets of Moscow & Petersburg. All the cities are easy to reach by train, but this event will make them extra visitor friendly. The other World Cup sites I'd particularly recommend are Nizhny Novgorod & Yekaterinburg. Just 2 days in each/either city would give you exposure to a very different part of Russia.

You can book trains easily & in English through the official site, no need to use any service that charges a big markup: https://pass.rzd.ru/main-pass/public/en

Internationally Known

Let me know which American Credit Card works for you...when I went to book on their official English site it did not accept ANY of my American issued credit cards (14 or so). Shame becasue the site is so well done in English.

Nationally Recognized