cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Miami Suggestions For February, next month

Internationally Known

Miami Suggestions For February, next month

I know some of you are from different parts of Florida and I know I've seen stories about Maimi.  I've been to Ft Lauderdale and have a pretty good idea what to do there.  We've been to part of the Everglades.  I'm looking for suggestions for things to do, good places to eat, public transportation, etc. in and around the Miami area.  We are not renting a car but we are not opposed to renting one for a day.  My wife and I will be there two full days before our cruise and then joined by my brother-in-law and sister-in-law the following day.  After our criuise we will be staying five days.  We will be staying in South Beach at HGV McAlpin-Ocean Plaza in our timeshare.  I've done a little research on public transportation but we all know how that goes, you can research it but still no sure how it works.  My wife really wants to visit the bakeries in Little Havana.  I want to visit Jungle Island because I was there when it was called "Parrott Jungle," I was five.  Other than that if anyone has suggestions please let me know. 

2 Replies
Internationally Known

Re: Miami Suggestions For February, next month

I love Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park beach in Biscayne, some 30- 40 mins drive from the South Beach. It's beautiful and away from the crowd. The jungle island seaplane landing area is actually great for photographing Miami downtown in the night if you are interested in photography. Check out El Chalan restaurant near South Beach. Amazing Peruvian seafood restaurant and surprisingly pocket-friendly. Also,  check out Versailles Cuban Bakery, authentic Cuban food in Miami. If you are planning to head out, take a drive through the US41 Tamiami Trail. Look for Loop Road - its a backcountry drive of ~25 miles through the Indian reservations and Big Cypress National Preserve- great for wildlife viewing. You can continue your drive to Ochopee and take a kayak trip in the mangroves with alligators swimming next to you :)

Internationally Known

Re: Miami Suggestions For February, next month

Parkhopper,  thank you, that's great info.  I'll write it down and see what we can do.  I love all the outdoor activities, but, my wife and in-laws not so much.  I will definetly keepthe bakery and restaurant in mind, we all love seafood.