cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Key West First Timer

Internationally Known

Key West First Timer

We leave for Miami in 3 weeks.  We have a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise on the Symphony of the Seas.  After the cruise we have 5 days in Miami Beach so I booked us a day trip to Key West.  I’ve seen several stories in this community so besides the Monument at the southern most tip of the US, what else is a “must see?”  Any ideas are appreciated.  We will have about 5 hours before our bus heads back to Miami Beach. Thank you in advance.

8 Replies
Stately Explorer

Re: Key West First Timer

I just took a day trip to Key West last month, and felt like it was actually enough time to get a sense of the place.

I'm not a huge Hemmingway fan, but we went to his house and it was interesting, albeit really full of people. Sitting on the grounds by his old pool and meeting his cats can give you a sense of what Key West must have been like back when Hemmingway lived there. The lighthouse across the street also has a great view, as long as you don't hate steps. I was okay with the steps, although I did get a bit of vertigo going down.   

Mostly, it seems to me like Key West is a place to eat and drink, and perhaps shop. A friend recommended Waterfront Brewery, and my partner and I had a nice afternoon getting a few drinks there. We must have hit some kind of happy hour because glasses of beer were only $3 when we visited. We got a booth by the water, which was nice. We also went to Bien Key West, which was a tiny bit off the beaten path. It was my idea, and at first my partner was complaining about eating outside and not sitting by the water, but he ended up raving about how great the food was. It's Caribbean food, and we both agreed it was a special place. We also liked Cuban Coffee Queen. 

Mostly, I've just repeated standard tourist suggestions here, but I enjoyed them! 

Internationally Known

Thank you very much for the suggestions.  I want to fit in as much as we can in 5 hours.  The lighthouse will be on the top of my list.  I love coffee so I will check out the Cuban Coffee Queen, I saw your story on that.

Stately Explorer

That sounds great! I hope you have a wonderful trip! 

Internationally Known

You could just walk along Duval street (the main shopping/dining street), from Mallory square to Southernmost House. You could grab a slice of key lime pie from Kermit's. I agree with visiting the Hemmingway House. If you like, you could take an Old Town trolley tour. Just one that cover Old Town is fine - venture too far east (e.g. East of ~First Street), and Key West becomes generically suburban).

For those with more time, there is Truman's Little White House, Butterfly and Nature Conservancy (similar to other butterfly gardens in natural history museums), and Key West Wildlife Center, which is neat and off the beaten path.

Internationally Known

Centrifuge41, thanks for the great tips.  I just mentioned to my wife last night that I want to find a place in Key West to get some Key Lime pie.The Old Town Trolley tour might be a good one too, if I can get my wife away from the shops.  Hahahahaha!

Internationally Known

We took a Trolley that takes you around, which was very convenient.  We ended up walking on Duval street and taking pictures with "the most soutwestern point marker"

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Victoria_pa, sounds great, thank you

Nationally Recognized

I realize you are already back from your trip, but for others who may read this, go to the La Te Da restaurant for lunch, they have the best food! It is located at 1125 Duval Street. Also you might enjoy visiting Hemingway's house. 

RJean