cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It’s Tragic, Notre Dame is on fire

Internationally Known

Re: It’s Tragic, Notre Dame is on fire

Yes, it's a great relief the bell towers appear to have been spared. I was really concerned about the heat weakening the bell mounts. When a very large bell, such as a tenor bell, falls it can do a whole lot of damage on the way down.

I understand that the artworks and relics were removed as the fire got started. At least there is some good news out of this tragedy.

Internationally Known

Yep, it's gone. I was watching when it fell and then I had to shut if off. : (

Highlighted
Internationally Known

I saw that as well.  Wow!  It’s very sad. And BelfryBat, if those bells fell it would really “ring your belfry.”  I should’ve figured you would know the bells given your user name.  HaHaHa!

Internationally Known

Yes, I actually ring the bell at my church on a regular basis. This selfie was taken in our Bell Tower. 

Our bell is large enough that it can actually pick me off the ground when I try to stop it. It really gives you a great respect for these bells. I can only imagine the sheer size of the ones at Notre Dame. I understand that they rang when France was liberated in World War II and hopefully they will ring again soon.

Internationally Known

P1010300.JPG

I am deeply saddened. It just breaks my heart. Here's the picture I took back in 2007 during our family trip....

Internationally Known

@Botticelli, that's a great shot. The good news is that the structure and the most important art is still intact, besides the grand damage to the roof. It is great to see that the world comes together in times of tragedies.

I was desparately searching for some pics today, knew that I had some from many years ago but could only find one. It was shot in 1983. Hope you enjoy it. The quality is not the best, had to scan it from an album (of course it was attached with some glue, the way it was done in the days, wasn't it..ha,ha)Notre Dame001.jpg

Internationally Known

it's heartbreaking.  I was able to see it during my high school years but it's been on my husband's bucket list. :(

Donna Brady
Nationally Recognized

Yes, this is such a loss for everyone around the world, heartbreaking for sure. Thankfully they were able to save many of the relics and I am hopeful that in time, this magnificent church will be rebuilt.

RJean