cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ireland 2020

City Slicker

Ireland 2020

Hi,

My husband and I are looking to travel to Ireland next year. Any suggestions and advice would be much appreciated. We are looking at using Discovering Ireland Vacations. Has anyone used them? Also how is renting a car and driving around? We are looking at this option or inquiring about a private chauffeur. 

Thanks,

Jenn

3 Replies
City Slicker

Re: Ireland 2020

Hi Jenna, 

Not sure where all you guys are going. My husband and I spent 10 days there in March of 2018. We rented a car (which I highly recommend) and drove from Dublin to Galway to Cork to Belfast and back to Dublin. With side stops in Limmerick and Kilkenny.

Places to check out in Dublin:

Brazen Head - oldest bar

St. Patrick's Cathedral 

Trinity College for the Book of Kells exhibit

Do Guiness tour. It is worth it just for the 360 view at the bar at the top.

Jameoson private Whiskey tour is fantastic and small.

Pearse Lyon distillery is awesome as well. Inside an old church with actual graveyard. 

Kilmainham Gaol - amazing history!

Places to check out in Galway:

We went to Pearse Stadium to watch a Gaelic Football Match

Crane Bar - small, local bar that has authentic live, local music. It was amazing!

Quay Street has great restaurants and nightlife

Drove from Galway to Cliffs of Moher

if you take your own car, bypass the main parking area and about a mile or so down the road you will see a small sign that says "parking," turn there and follow the winding (semi-oneway) road to a little parking area outside a B&B. It is much cheaper to park here and walk up to the Cliffs. We were there almost two hours before we saw another person! Go first thing in the morning if possible.

Go the Blarney Castle if you can. The town is gorgeous. We went to Cork, but if we could do it again - we would have done the Ring of Kerry on to Blarney and skipped Cork. 

If you make it to Belfast:

Black Taxi Tour

St. George's Market

Crown Liquer Saloon

Titanic Museum

*outside of Belfast we did the Bushmills Distillery and Giant's Causeway as well as Dunluc Castle

Hope you guys have so much fun! Pack rain gear just in case!

Alex

City Slicker

Alex,

Your response is very helpful. I appreciate the feedback. We are very excited about this trip!

Internationally Known

Hi Jenn, you should definitely rent a car, driving around is definitely not so bad as it might appear. It just gives you a lot of freedom to discover the sites you are interested in at your own pace.

Many of us in this community have been traveling around Ireland, including myself. Check out the many posts so you get an idea what you might want to explore yourself.

The best way to check out the stories is to go into "Travel Stories" on the main page. This will bring up a new page. On the right side, just below the picture with the river, you will see a gray bar named "Filter Stories". Click on this one and type "Ireland" in the search bar (underneath the word "Destination"). This will get you to all the posts about Ireland. 
Don't forget to kudo those who inspired you by clicking on the "thumbs up" sign underneath the picture in the post.

Have fun and welcome to the community. Looking forward to reading your travel stories.