cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help....what to do/how to get around.....Munich, Germany

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Help....what to do/how to get around.....Munich, Germany

Hi all, I have been looking over your stories for Munich.  As we will have five days there in the spring, I am looking for your favorite things to do and see.  And, how to do it.....I do not think we will have a car, so I see the trains are a good option if we head out of town? Thanks for any input!!

11 Replies
Highlighted
Internationally Known

Re: Help....what to do/how to get around.....Munich, Germany

Dryd1955, I have a few ideas for a day trip:

take the train from Munich Hauptbahnhof (central station) to either a) Garmisch-Partenkirchen, b) Murnau, c) Rosenheim or d) Salzburg (Austria). 
a) city closest to the Alps, very walkable, former host of the Olympic Games, large pedestrian area, great restaurants, painted houses, view of the Zugspitze (highest mountain in Germany), takes about one hour to get there

If you want a bit of exercise, hike the local trail to the Windbeutel Alm for great views over Garmisch and one of those incredible deserts named Windbeutel. Ask any local for directions 

b) picturesque town with views of the Alps, very walkable, quaint pedestrian area with painted houses, historic homes, takes about 45 minutes to get there

Depending on the weather, you could take an Uber to one of the most picturesque beer gardens (Seerestaurant Alpenblick) at the lake Staffelsee with views of the Alps

c) historic center, large pedestrian area, painted houses, very walkable, about one hour by train

d) historic city with a large fortress, a wonderful pedestrian area, old coffee houses, the birthplace of Mozart (the composer) and a wide range of picturesque buildings in a mountainous setting, about one hour 15 minutes to get there

Alternatively, you could take the S-Bahn (commuter train) to Starnberger See, one of the most popular weekend destinations for folks living in Munich. The lake offers great views of the Alps and has some trails along its banks. Plenty of restaurants in town. Best to be done when it is warm enough to sit outside.

Have fun in Munich!

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Yes, trains are a good option for in and out of town. Don't forget about heading to Dachau while you are there. There is a ton of great stuff to do in and around Munich. You can hit up the Hofbrauhaus for a great dinner (though it is touristy), just get there before the main dinner crowds and don't be afraid to share a table with strangers. The main square is amazing, St. Peter's Church is stunning and check out the downtown area for great markets. 

I agree with the day trips that were posted as well. Garmish is an absolute favorite of mine, you cannot beat the views. 

I hope you have an amazing trip :) 

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Another great day tour is to take train to Schwangau and visit the Neuschwanstein Castle. I rented a car and drove, but certainly it is doable by train. 

https://www.barclaycardtravel.com/t5/Travel-Stories/Neuschwanstein-castle-lover-s-dream/ba-p/2221493

https://www.barclaycardtravel.com/t5/Travel-Stories/Stunning-View-of-Lake-Alpsee/ba-p/2221500

Highlighted
Internationally Known

I was excited to finally be able to answer a question on here, but I think the first three replies cover my best tips!  

have a blast!

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Thank you so much Liketraveling!!! 

That was PERFECT!!! We were hoping to be ble to figure out the trains schedules :-) and go see the Alps in Austria, and those towns you mentioned sound wonderful!!!! We will be there in mid-May, so hopefully warm enought to sit outside and enjoy those views.

I have printed off your suggestions to help with my planning :-)).  Thank you!!!!

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Thank you, kranzie10!!!  We do plan on trying to get out to Dachau (even though I am sure it will be so heartbreaking but as you said in your stories, we do need to know and always remember).  I will for sure want to visit St. Peter's and the main square and market.  And the Hofbrauhas for dinner! I don't mind touristy places, I am a tourist :-)) (ha)

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Thank you Botticelli!!!!

I would love to go see the Castle, I hope it is not too far away if we do not have a car.

Those pictures you posted (I bookmarked them) are Gorgeous!!!! I cannot wait to see those views.

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Thanks for replying lhpie10!!!!

Yes, the answers were very helpful. 

It only makes it more exciting to plan!! :-)

Highlighted
Internationally Known

I just saw that you will be in the area in Mid-May. We have just booked another trip. Starting in England on May 14th and ending up in Garmisch the next weekend! My husband couldn't come back to Europe without stopping in the Bavarian Alps for another climb :)