cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has the Coronavirus Affected your Travels?

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Re: Has the Coronavirus Affected your Travels?

@gefe57 wrote:

I have to say this, with all the media hype putting fear into everyone, store shelves here are unbelievably empty.  It's eerie!  We went to Sam's Club Saturday to get a few things for the week and I couldn't believe how few people were shopping and how empty the shelves and displays.  Heck, I couldn't even buy bananas.  Hoarders!  I'll check our local Winco market in a short bit to see if I can get what Sam's didn't have.  I already heard our Costco is as bad or worse than Sam's.  The stores here are also changing their hours so they can clean and stock.  Is everyone else experiencing the same thing?  It's like one of those doomsday shows/movies.  

It has been terrible here as well. I try to do small trips for basic necessities as they become available. The stores have been completely cleared out of a lot of things - including food.

Highlighted
Internationally Known

@Kim_Sn wrote:

Hi gefe57 and all Travel Community Members:

I just posted a message that I wanted to be sure you all saw. Please read it here.

Be safe and take care everyone!

Kim

Thanks as always for the update, Kim. I will give that post a read.

Highlighted
Internationally Known

BelfryBat,  I use Hilton more than any other hotels as well.  I have some other hotel cards but mostly for the free annual night which is worth much more than the AF.  I, as I have written about, am a Hilton Grand Vacations timeshare owner also.  I use my Aspire card to make the monthly payments and get 14 HH points per dollar.  The points add up quick.  We love Hilton.  I'm sure there are others here at BTC that have their like/love for certain hotel chains or even airlines. 

Highlighted
Internationally Known

@trips4me wrote:

Thanks, Gefe57.  I was thinking the same thing, that stories may slow down a bit on this site with all these travel restrictions.

I have a big backlog and just started writing again, so I'll try to do my part to keep you all entertained.

My next trip is scheduled in June, and I have to say, I'm not feeling very confident about that suddenly.

Highlighted
Internationally Known

When I first read your posting and the follow-up threads, I never thought it will develop this bad... It is hard to believe what is going on.... Speaking of travels, I cancelled my travels planned in May to Canadian Rockies. Out of abundance of caution, I am trying not to fly anywhere in anytime soon for either buniess or leisure... Just hope it gets back to normal soon. 

Highlighted
Internationally Known

I never thought it would be this bad either.  It sickens me to see how many people are panicking.  I went to the grocery store this morning and there was a long line of people waiting to get inside the store.  The store was limiting the number of people it was allowing in at a time.  I didn't wait, I honestly was just trying to get some bananas.  Then I went to another grocery store and the shelves were nearly all empty.  Unbelievable!  So I decided to check Sam's Club again and this time they had bananas but they were very green.  People had shopping baskets piled high with all different types of food.  Hoarders!   I hope this panic slows soon.  I heard a great saying on the news this morning, "Panic is like fear on steroids."  

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Same here. We were out of bananas last Friday. What a perfect timing!!    From Saturday and on, we could not get bananas from any store...  Just hope that it gets better in a few days. 

Highlighted
Nationally Recognized

I'm a bit in shock at some of the things I am reading here.  Not sure why folks didn't take things seriously weeks ago when things began raging in Italy, Spain and France. Dear leader said it was a hoax. Talking heads at Faux said it was impeachment bait. Dear leader was looking very humbled and admissive last night. Sorry to get political but it is what it is.

I'm so dismayed at seeing people in my OWN COMMUNITY out partying at the bars and posting pics on Facebook. Seriously? My July trip to Barcelona and Morocco is likely not happening and it's looking VERY likely that my airline (Air Portugal, RyanAir) will, eventually, relent and offer free changes, refunds or travel credit. I'll take what I can get in hopes of not having to eat the whole loss. AirBNB is also seeming to offer refunds on upcoming trip in March April. Later on though is still in doubt.

I know a lot of you guys have had to cancel and I think it's a smart thing to do. Some of you got some or most of your $$ back and I am glad to hear it. For people like me who snapped up those super cheap flash-deal flights that didn't have the option to buy cancellation or similar insurance, we're at the mercy of the airlines or credit card who offer protections on purchases. Speaking of, did we get a straight answer from Barclays on that?

Here's hoping people just listen and hole up a bit and help slow things down. Everything helps at this time of crisis and I know none of you need me echoing things you already heard or know from the news. Be safe and look after your elders & neighbors when you can. Keep in touch.

Would hope to share a beer with you guys when our breweries re-open. Lots of love from Chicago!!!!

P.S. Please watch this video message from Italians going through lockdown now and pass along to your friends and family. They have some good avice for all: https://www.theatlantic.com/video/index/608113/italy-coronavirus/

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Everyone will respond to this crisis differently, depending on their political party, age etc. I personally review the data and look at the John Hopkins data site and certain charts every day. As of 9:30 this morning there were 4,661 cases in the US. In my analysis, in three to four days we will know whether we are starting to follow Italy's trajectory or South Korea's or somewhere in between. Seeing people out partying in large crowds does not help our situation for sure. What the president is doing is necessary in my opinion. One can argue whether it was done too early or too late, (and I won't give my opinion) let's just keep this website civil and unpolitical if possible. As someone has mentioned before, this is one of the most civil and friendly sites I have every been on.

Highlighted
Nationally Recognized

I am also surprised at how bad the situation has become. I was hopeful that I'd be able to take my trip in April, but now it has officially been pushed back to September. I hope things have cleared up by then so I can return to Bhutan and complete the trip I've spent months planning.