cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has the Coronavirus Affected your Travels?

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Re: Has the Coronavirus Affected your Travels?

For our Asia trip we canceled I used hotel points for all of our hotel reservations except one night.  I booked through Hotels.com, a refundable room, so all of our points were put back immediately into our accounts.  Airfare we got a credit and then Uniteddid not charge a change fee because of the virus. 

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Well, add me to the list...we've officially been affected.  We had planned on hiking the West HIghland Way last September, but I got cancer. Fast forward to now, I'm in remission and the hike is to take place next month. Now the virus hits and it's not safe for our parents to get on a plane to watch our kids. Now it's cancelled.  Well, as much of it is cancelled as possible... which leads me to a question (that I'll post in a separate thread) pertaining to using the travel insurance on our Barclay cards. 

Highlighted
Internationally Known

It's very disappointing when you have planned a trip or anything else fun and then, Poof!  It's all canceled.  Now you will have to replan and maybe even make it a better trip.  Kranzie10, I am glad you are feeling well enough for a journey like that.  If I remember correctly you wrote about your cancer about a year ago.  Time flies.  April 30 will be one year since I had my hip replacement, unbelievable.  

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Thus far, it has not affected my travels - but I know that others were not so fortunate. My trip to Topeka, Kansas went almost perfectly - save for having to take a detour to avoid a snow storm. The detour was actually a scenic route across Southeastern Kansas, so it was actually quite a nice drive.

I am scheduled to attend a business conference in Texas next month. It is still on, so hopefully it will continue as scheduled.

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Our Boston trip is officially over. I cancelled everything yesterday. All museums, resturants and bars are closed there and I didn't want to take the chance of getting sick there or bringing something back. My flight (Delta) gave me a credit. Hilton said they were refunding my advance purchase hotel rooms, although this morning I saw a pending charge for the hotel rooms on my card. Ugh, hope I don't have to fight that. Hope everyone stays healthy! 

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Travel stories my start to dwindle a little here at BTC because of the Coronavirus.  I dug up some old photos to help a little but not to many of those.  We've gone here and there locally so if I see something story worthy (or close to worthy) I'll snap some pics.  Trips4me, sorry to hear your Boston trip is canceled.  I was there when I was a kid (many years ago) so Boston is on our list to visit eventually.  We are still a go for our Vancouver, BC trip the end of July.  Hopefully things will slow and we won't have to cancel.  And our biggest hope is that our Greek Isles/italy trip (the trip that replaced our canceled Asia trip) in October won't have to be canceled.  

If your hotel charge is just pending it should disappear.  Hilton has sent emails (I got them anyway) about cancelation refunds and they are even extending the expiration dates for free weekend night awards if you get them (the free nights come with the Aspire card).  

Stay healthy everyone.  

Highlighted
Internationally Known

I have to say this, with all the media hype putting fear into everyone, store shelves here are unbelievably empty.  It's eerie!  We went to Sam's Club Saturday to get a few things for the week and I couldn't believe how few people were shopping and how empty the shelves and displays.  Heck, I couldn't even buy bananas.  Hoarders!  I'll check our local Winco market in a short bit to see if I can get what Sam's didn't have.  I already heard our Costco is as bad or worse than Sam's.  The stores here are also changing their hours so they can clean and stock.  Is everyone else experiencing the same thing?  It's like one of those doomsday shows/movies.  

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Thanks, Gefe57.  I was thinking the same thing, that stories may slow down a bit on this site with all these travel restrictions. I definitley won't have enough stories to last until my next trip (Nashville late summer) and with Boston just cancelled, my stories will definitely be slowing down!

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi gefe57 and all Travel Community Members:

I just posted a message that I wanted to be sure you all saw. Please read it here.

Be safe and take care everyone!

Kim

Highlighted
Internationally Known

@gefe57 wrote:

Travel stories my start to dwindle a little here at BTC because of the Coronavirus.  I dug up some old photos to help a little but not to many of those.  We've gone here and there locally so if I see something story worthy (or close to worthy) I'll snap some pics.  Trips4me, sorry to hear your Boston trip is canceled.  I was there when I was a kid (many years ago) so Boston is on our list to visit eventually.  We are still a go for our Vancouver, BC trip the end of July.  Hopefully things will slow and we won't have to cancel.  And our biggest hope is that our Greek Isles/italy trip (the trip that replaced our canceled Asia trip) in October won't have to be canceled.  

If your hotel charge is just pending it should disappear.  Hilton has sent emails (I got them anyway) about cancelation refunds and they are even extending the expiration dates for free weekend night awards if you get them (the free nights come with the Aspire card).  

Stay healthy everyone.  

Interestingly enough, I have also been digging up some old photographs. I will probably write more stories about my adventures in college.

I also got the Hilton e-mail. I really have to praise them for what they have done to help those who have seen their trips cancelled. Makes me even happier that I decided to stay with them exclusively.