cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has the Coronavirus Affected your Travels?

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Re: Has the Coronavirus Affected your Travels?

Yes, very disappointing but I'm getting over it because we just booked a Greek Isles cruise out of Rome (Civitavecchia) for October.  We will spend one day in Civitavecchia before the cruise and then we have four days after to explore around the area.  The cruise is 9 nights.  So now I have planning to do again.  But we would still be in Tokyo right now.  ☹️

Highlighted
Internationally Known

The Greek Islands cruise is definitely a great consolation prize. That's great, and surely all the virus commotion will be calmed down by then. With the news out of Italy this morning and the stock market implosion, I'm beginning to get nervous about our trip in April. Was planning on stopping in Italy for a couple of weeks after Turkey. But if this situation keeps deteriorating, April may be too soon to be heading anywhere at all overseas. I've only bought transatlantic airfare and one flight from Pisa to Dublin with points, so wouldn't be a total disaster financially, just really disappointing. The news this morning does not look good for Europe.

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Ed, just saw italy on the news.  Wow!  We will be in Civitavecchia,Italy before and after the cruise in October.  I just mentioned to my wife that we need to not plan a trip for awhile.  We planned Asia and the riots in Hong Kong started and then the Coronavirus.  Now our plans for our Greek Isles cruise starting in Italy with the news this morning.  I'm sure by October we will be good to go. The medical professionals have said that when the weather warms up this should slow way down or go away for a bit like other flu bugs.  🤞🏻  

Highlighted
Nationally Recognized

@gefe57 wrote:

Ed, just saw italy on the news.  Wow!  We will be in Civitavecchia,Italy before and after the cruise in October.  I just mentioned to my wife that we need to not plan a trip for awhile.  We planned Asia and the riots in Hong Kong started and then the Coronavirus.  Now our plans for our Greek Isles cruise starting in Italy with the news this morning.  I'm sure by October we will be good to go. The medical professionals have said that when the weather warms up this should slow way down or go away for a bit like other flu bugs.  🤞🏻  

But coronavirus has already spread in areas that are warm (Singapore, Australia, Malaysia) so it's not a guarantee warm weather will kill it off. I'd surmise if in warmer climes there is no further spread in a months time, there is some truth to the belief it will die in summer. But so long as it keeps spreading from person to person unabated, warm weather doesn't mean much. Ever heard of the summer flu? =)

Be well and travel cautiously.

Highlighted
City Slicker

It is always great when we can hear what we want to hear from someone reputed to be an expert.

Highlighted
Nationally Recognized

My flight from London to the US yesterday was less than 1/3 full. Huge difference from my flight over just a week prior. My flights within Europe were more like 2/3 full, and Heathrow airport was plenty crowded, so it seems to me people are more hesitant to travel the further it is.

Highlighted
Nationally Recognized

I've had a 2.5 week trip to Europe (Paris, Amsterdam, Lisbon, Marseille/Provence, and back to Paris) planned for about 8 months now. I was supposed to run the Paris Marathon but it was postponed until October (will not be going then). British Airways is not following suit with United and Delta with regards to waiving change or cancellation fees. It will only waive such fees if you booked flights between March 3 and the end of the month, which is their way of making it seem like they are being flexible. If I wasn't flying in and out of Paris, I honestly wouldn't care much at all. I'm a young healthcare professional so I'm not concerned at all about getting sick. But with each passing day, France is heading more and more towards Stage 3 and more stringent restrictions are being placed on crowded places and public transport. Being that France has the 2nd highest number of cases, the only thing I'm concerned about is getting stuck there if the government imposes a "lockdown" similar to Italy. I've coughed up (no pun intended) quite a bit of money for the trip but thinking the best thing is bite the bullet and forgo the trip.

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Aesmaily, I hope your trip works out for you one way or the other.  It's a real bummer to have to cancel a trip you plan for so long.  I'm still sad we had to cancel our trip but we have a new one to look forward to and plan.  Hopefully this crazy virus will have slowed way down by October and travels are getting back to fairly normal.  I'm pretty sure Italy can't be locked down until October so we can fly in before our Greek Isles cruise out of Rome and stay 4 days after.  It would really be painful to have to cancel another trip.  Good luck with your trip.

Highlighted
Nationally Recognized

Thanks for the messages everyone. Gefe57, while this situation is a bit unprecedented, I don't believe the lockdown will extend greater than 4 weeks (perhaps 8 weeks at the most). This is based on the fact that Italy is somewhat following in the footsteps of China and using one of China's many containment strategies. As for my part, I've learned a lot from this process (e.g. make sure you book refundable hotel reservations) that will surely help me in the future.