cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has the Coronavirus Affected your Travels?

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Re: Has the Coronavirus Affected your Travels?

The news media doesn't help in these types of things.  They sensationalize it too much and it scares people.  The best thing I heard on the news was an interview with a health professional.  He said, "You would have a higher possibility of getting hit by a car in Hong Kong than you would catching the Coronavirus."

Im still excited for our trip even with the revised itinerary.  Heading to SF tomorrow to spend the night at the Hyatt (free credit card night) near the airport (parking our car at my wife's sister's house) and our flight leaves at 10:35 Thursday morning for Tokyo.  

I think things will be fine for your trip in a few weeks, but who am I to say?  

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Safe travels Jeff! It's gonna be a blast, can't wait to hear all about it! We finally rolled back into Alabama yesterday evening from the epic road trip, now just have to unpack from 4+ months away and decompress, and get some travel stories going again!

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Just got the news a couple hours ago.  Our trip is now canceled.  I'm really bummed out.  Got all the other arrangements canceled as well.  I guess better safe than sorry.  the day before we were to leave.

Ed, glad you made it home safe.  Can't wait to see more stories.  Now I'm about out of story material.  Darn!

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Gefe57, I'm so sorry! I was thinking about you the other day when I saw the news about the cruise ship being denied entry. I know you have been looking forward to this trip for some time and I hope you didn't lose any points/miles with the cancellation. 

Highlighted
Internationally Known

It's been planned for just over a year now.  I got all my hotel points and my hotels.com free nights refunded.  The airfare points are now a $$ credit with United that we have to use by the end of next December.  I'll find out how it works with Barclay, I covered a lot of my trip with my Barclay Miles.  I'll start hunting for a new trip in a bit.  

Highlighted
Internationally Known

I think everyone on here will be interested to hear how things work out with the Barclay miles. I've wondered myself what would happen if miles were used to pay for something which later had to be cancelled. Again, so sorry about this! Hopefully planning it the 2nd time around will be easier!

Highlighted
Internationally Known

I did learn a lot.  That will help for future bookings.

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Jeff, this is just sooo devastating to read!! I feel sooo sorry for you and your wife! One day before your trip, you probably packed your stuff already? At least you will find lots of inspiring new ideas on this travel site...I wish you all the best and please keep us in the loop how all worked out in the end.

I had a similar experience with SARS. Had planned a trip to Hongkong and Vietnam for a long time, all prebooked and sorted out with private guides and all. My former colleagues were however so concerned about my plans that they informed our personnel dept. and I was politely forced to cancel everything. Got all my miles back and got reimbursed by the firm for all expenses that still occurred for non-refundable items. Ultimately, my wife and I took exactly the same trip one year later and had a blast.

Highlighted
Internationally Known

My heart fell when I got the text and email from Royal Caribbean telling us our cruise is canceled.  I'm bummed out right now.  I cannot blame them because they only have our safety and health in mind.  At least we were still home and didn't get canceled while we were in Tokyo.  We'll just look for something later in the year if my wife can get off work.  We have a quick Vancouver, BC trip in July so I guess I'll focus on that for now.  

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Man I hate to hear that! All that time and energy involved getting it worked up, but like you said, better that it happened before you left. Might be time to think about that long postponed trip to the great southeast..... :)