cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has the Coronavirus Affected your Travels?

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Has the Coronavirus Affected your Travels?

The Coronavirus almost ended our vacation next week.  After waiting over a year for our big vacation, along came the riots in Hong Kong.  We decided that we could avoid those.  Then the recent Coronavirus outbreak.  Our cruise was scheduled to leave Hong Kong on February 24th.  We have a week in Tokyo and then we were to spend three days in Hong Kong before boarding our ship.  Well, that all changed because of the Coronavirus.  Now our ship is sailing out of Singapore.  Wow!  I spent the better part of a day dealing with the changes to our flights and hotels.  The hotels were a breeze.  The flight on the other hand was a pain in the backside.  Changing our second flight from Tokyo to Singapore (instead of Hong Kong) almost killed our trip.  They wanted just over $1,000 each just to change that leg of our flight.  After spending hours on the phone we got it worked out and our flight is now changed and the best part is, it didn't cost us any more $$$.  Whew!  We have one extra night in Tokyo and two nights in Singapore before our cruise.  I can handle those changes.  I'll take two additional days in Singapore (we have three after the cruise).  We are very thankful everything worked out.

Now to my question.  Have any other members of our BTC been affected by the Coronavirus?  And I don't mean if you have had too many Coronas and are hung over.  HaHaHa!  

77 Replies
Highlighted
Internationally Known

Re: Has the Coronavirus Affected your Travels?

I'm glad it all worked out for you!  Can't wait to read about your adventures. 

Highlighted
Internationally Known

I am also happy it worked out.  I am a little suprised they gave you such a hard time over the flights, but all is OK in the end.  Have a great trip.  

Hopefully, it won't affect me.  I leave for Europe next week, and have no plans for Asia, so unless things get a lot worse, I should be OK.

I was actually in Wuhan many years ago on a Yangtzee River Cruise.  I haven't posted about it yet (and probably won't for a while, it seems crass) but it was a bustling city.  My heart goes out to all the people who are sick or are locked in their apartments.

Highlighted
Internationally Known

I think because it is a multi city ticket it made it more difficult to change the middle leg.  I'm just thankful it worked out.  Royal Caribbean has restricted passengers from boarding the ship if they have been in China in the past two weeks (before sailing date) even if they just transferred flights in Hong Kong.  They are being very strict and that's good for us.  

have a great trip to Europe.

Highlighted
Nationally Recognized

I'm glad it all worked out for you! I'll be transiting through Hong Kong and Bangkok in April so I'm waiting to see how the situation looks. I'm crossing my fingers that things have peaked by then and there will be no last minute flight cancellations in my future. 

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Twoblue,  hopefully by April things will be back to normal in Hong Kong and China.  If not you may end up with a canceled flight.  

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Not me personally, but I set my in-laws up with an AA award via HKG. They were set to go SIN-HKG-LAX at the end of the month. They were able to call and use AA's travel change waiver to go to Tokyo instead of HKG without charge, which was nice. I had read other reports about AA trying to charge for such changes. Seems a lot comes down to the luck of the draw with which phone rep you get. 

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Yep, I talked to different reps and finally got a good one that set everything up for us.  We are on United.  The waiver helped.  I'm glad your in-laws were able to get a flight change.  We will be in Tokyo February 14 to 22.  

Highlighted
Internationally Known

I'm glad that everything worked out for you!

We haven't had anything affected by the virus :) 

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Glad everything work out good for you. I have a Japan trip in about 3 weeks, I'm not too concern about the virus itself but what if it get worst during my time there and then I can't return home. Just praying for the best, I been looking forward to this time for nearly a year and I really don't want to cancel. I read articles and Japan especially Kyoto is seeing about 50% less tourist. crazy!