cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Greece, anyone?

Highlighted
County Wise

Greece, anyone?

My fiance and I are planning on traveling to Greece this summer. Does anyone have any suggestions on where we should go, what islands to spend time on, any tours we should join? We have no idea what to do, we just love all the amazing pictures of beaches we see online and know it is the place we need to go. We are really open to any suggestions. Thanks!

2 Replies
Internationally Known

Re: Greece, anyone?

Depending on how many days you are planning to spend you can do a lot of things in Greece. Plan to stay ~4-5 days in Athens and few day-trips to (1) Meteora (by train, need a full day), (2) Delphi (need to rent a car or guided tours), (3) Sounion (car or bus) (4) Explore Acropolis  Plaka and Monastiraki area and the amazing street food (we survived on Souvlaki and doner kebabs :)

The island hopping is a totally different ball game depending on how much time you have. We stayed in Santorini but you can also spend two days in Mykonos and/or explore Crete for 3 days. Naxos is another awesome Greek island in the South Aegean. All these islands are interconnected by ferries. But, I would suggest taking cheap Ryanair flights to save time.  

Internationally Known

Re: Greece, anyone?

Santorini is definitely not off the beaten path, but we loved it there. The caldera views there are some of the most dramatic scenery we've ever seen. We stayed at De Sol hotel across the street from the Volcano View hotel. At the time it was a sister property (2 years ago- so double check) with reciprocal agreement so for a much cheaper price, so we used all the facilities at Volcano View (pools, meals, Greek night show). We rented a car at a place next door for a couple of days and drove all over the island, there's a lot to explore (wineries, beaches etc) and it's quiet and low key away from the main drag of Fira, and driving around was one of our favorite memories, stopping at wineries, roadside stands, deserted beaches, etc).  Hike to Oia is a must do. We followed up by 3 nights in Athens to see the sites there and thought it was a great trip. Happy to answer any questions