cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Girona area of Spain

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Girona area of Spain

Wondering if any of you guys have spent much time around Girona (north of Barcelona)? I'm considering spending a week or two around there in late September. Cycling is supposed to be good, lol. Can't decide whether or not to stay in Girona and day trip out, or find a small village near Girona  and the coast to rent a house and use as a base.

2 Replies
Internationally Known

Re: Girona area of Spain

We took a (hasty) day trip from Barcelona to Carcassonne France. We didn't actually have time for Girona, unfortunately, but if we had time for one more stop, we'd have gone and hit up the Jewish quarter. Gironan also has a famous Michelin restaurant called El Celler de Can Roca, if you want to splurge.

In Figueres, the Dali museum is fantastic - best single-artist museum I've seen yet in my travels. The Castell de Sant Ferran is worth a look. Yes, it's repeating wall, but it only takes 20 minutes to swing by, grab some pictures, then hit the road.

I really liked Carcassonne! But I might be biased because I learned of the place from my board game. If you're checking countries off your list, you could go to Andorra, and while you're there, the Lascaux caves are not far.

Internationally Known

Re: Girona area of Spain

Thanks centrifuge41, Girona was everything we hoped it would be. We arrived there in late September from Barcelona and stayed for 2 weeks in an AirBnb looking out on the river in the old town. The cycling was so good, both hybrid on the rail to trails, and road biking that we barely had time to do anything else but pedal. We did rent a car one day and drove out to the coast and looked around, but other than that we didn't venture away from Girona. There's plenty there to stay busy, with beautiful old walls, churches, museums and tons of restaurants. We didn't make it to El Celler, though I did hear of it, we were on the tail end of 6 weeks in Europe, so the shoestring budget was a little frayed at that point, so we ate in a lot at the apartment, and ate mainly at cheaper establishments.

We did regret not getting to Figueres or Cadaques as we've heard great things about them, but decided to save them for another trip, with Carcassonne and points north as well.

Our daughters were in and around Carcassonne last summer doing a workaway and absolutely loved it. But we decided to stay put and relax at the end of the trip and not venture too far. Plus we were a little France saturated still from several weeks there in the fall of 2017 so we weren't quite ready to do it again. Always next trip!