cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting your airline to do something about your flight if heading where coronavirus is spreading?

Highlighted
Nationally Recognized

Getting your airline to do something about your flight if heading where coronavirus is spreading?

Hi all,

Last November we booked Barcelona and a side trip to Morocco for early July. Seeing as how the other day Barcelona had its first case of coronavirus, I am officially freaking out. I guess the infected person came from up near Milan, Italy where it's currently spreading. A few days ago, I contacted Ryanair and TAP to ask what happens if it's spreading at my destination(s) and if I could get a travel credit or some such similar deferrment if I don't want to risk travelling? TAP has yet to reply after 3 days. Ryainair said the following:

"We will contact you regarding your correspondence. Please be informed that the "Ryanair General Terms and Conditions of Carriage" agreed at the time of booking confirm that all Ryanair tickets are "non-refundable".

Refund can only be made if it is a serious illness or the death of a passenger, attaching the medical certificate as evidence in the claim.

Before your trip, you can change the dates/ routes/ times of flights and the names of passengers; this can be done online or by contacting our reservations department.

An additional fee per change and a possible additional fee for updating the tariff (if applicable) apply.

At present all Ryanair flights are operating as normal. We will follow all public health instructions that are issued.

Given the above, we are unable to access the refund/ flight credit/ flight change free of charge request.

If you need further information, do not hesitate to contact us."

Ugh. Wasn't asking for a refund Ryanair. =\ While I know that some virologist professionals out there have stated they expect it to drop off one the weather gets warm, I'll lean on the side of being cautious with my family's lives.

Anyone out there had any luck with getting the airlines to issue travel credit or some such things. Thanks for any and all replies.

7 Replies
Highlighted
Nationally Recognized

Re: Getting your airline to do something about your flight if heading where coronavirus is spreading

And while I'm at it, does Barclays cover this kind of thing? I doubt anyone on these forums would risk going to Milan right about now even if they had a flight leaving tomorrow.

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Re: Getting your airline to do something about your flight if heading where coronavirus is spreading

I have a friend who lives in Shanghai, but has been in New Zealand since the beginning of this.  She had a flight cancelled from NZ to Australia because she had been in China within two weeks at that point, and it was fully refunded.

My guess is that if there is a travel ban, you will see refunds, credits, etc.  If you were flying tomorrow and decided you didn't want to risk it, you probably wouldn't be so lucky.  Just my gut feeling about it.

Highlighted
Nationally Recognized

@Ihpie10 wrote:

I have a friend who lives in Shanghai, but has been in New Zealand since the beginning of this.  She had a flight cancelled from NZ to Australia because she had been in China within two weeks at that point, and it was fully refunded.

My guess is that if there is a travel ban, you will see refunds, credits, etc.  If you were flying tomorrow and decided you didn't want to risk it, you probably wouldn't be so lucky.  Just my gut feeling about it.

I have friends in South Korea, Japan, Malaysia and Modena, Italy (not too far from Milan). My gut feeling too. I would guess if the WHO tells all the governments of the world (who then tell the airlines) that inbound tourism at the risk of spreading contagion to healthy people is not worth the risk and if ticket holders want a credit or refund, give it to them post-haste.

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Our Asia trip we just had to cancel we got refunded for our cruise, excursions, a tour through Viator.  Our airfare was non-refundable so we received airfare credit. Royal Caribbean canceled our cruise so that meant we needed to cancel everything else.  RC said they would cover up to $400 each for airline ticket change  fees so that would have covered the $300 United was going to charge.  Last week I booked our flight to Rome using those airfare credits.  When I mentioned to the United agent that we had to cancel because of the Coronavirus he said they are waiving the change fees.  So, with all of the disappointment from not being on our trip right now (today we were supposed to be in Manila) things worked out to be easier than I expected.  

I used my Arrival+ card to pay for the cruise and excursions and our Mt Fuji tour through Viator.  Then I erased all those charges with my Barclay points points.  I'm still trying to understand the refund and credits that posted on my Barclay account  but I have already used those refunds to pay off our October Greek Isles cruise and some excursions so far.  I have enough points to book the rest of our excursions once all this is sorted out.

Our hotels were booked with hotel points and those were immediately refunded back into my accounts.  

If you are going to cancel a trip because you don't feel safe (which is understandable) traveling to a location that has a couple cases of the Coronavirus you might have some issues if you booked non-refundable reservations.  Airfare you will probably get a credit (like we got) that usually expires a year after the original purchase (ours was extended because flights were being canceled as well).  

Bottom line, for us we were lucky and all went fairly smooth.  I did spend a very long time on the phone dealing with some of the cancellations but it was worth it in the end.  The hotel cancellations were a breeze through their websites.  

I hope this helps.  

Highlighted
Internationally Known

I am supposed to be headed to Barcelona in April so will be anxiously waiting to see how this plays out

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Sorry your trip didn't work out, but I'm sure you will make the best of it!

Highlighted
Nationally Recognized

@webbie20bb wrote:

I am supposed to be headed to Barcelona in April so will be anxiously waiting to see how this plays out

Be safe.