cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time International Travel advice (UK)

City Slicker

First time International Travel advice (UK)

Hello Barclayers!!!

I just joined the travel community, 1) to earn some extra points and 2) To get some useful advice about my upcoming trip and well traveling in general. I'm a novice when it comes to travel, domestically(in the US) I've been to 3 states besides the one I live in and of course road trips within my own state. I decided at the beginning of this year that it was time for me to take my first solo trip Internationally and I chose the place that I've wanted to go to since I was 9 years old: London, England!

I've done a whole bunch of research, reading various travel blogs and articles to get ready for it. Now this may sound crazy or smart, you pick, but I don't leave until November so I have a good 10 months before take off. So I welcome all types of advice, the more the merrier I always say!

Let the forum begin! :D

7 Replies
Stately Explorer

Re: First time International Travel advice (UK)

In my opinion, skip Harrods.  I got dragged there by the group I went with and the sandwiches were expensive and not that spectacular, and it's still just another Macy's.  My high school english teacher is over there right now and gave good reviews of the Bombay Distillery, Cahoots bar (just opened), and he took a Dickens walking tour where he actually learned something new he didn't already know.

Stately Explorer

Also, if you haven't read any **bleep** Francis books, pick up a couple of them to read (Shattered is one of my favorites), and try to go to a horse race http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_National_Hunt_races.  It's on my bucket list of things to do.

Stately Explorer

Upon further review, the author got bleeped.  His name is D. i.c.k Frances.

@Kati_D is there a way to legitimately post someone named D.i.c.k? without it getting bleeped beyond saying a nickname for Richard?

Community Manager

@stevesoffers - Our filters don't grant contextual exceptions so unfortunately this isn't an easy fix. I'll see what our options are for our Moderation Team to handle. Thanks!

City Slicker

Thanks Stevesoffer for the advice! I heard of Harrods in some of the articles I was researching, it was very back and forth but I agree no need for expensive sandwiches! I've heard great things about the Dickens tour so I'll definitley add that to my itinerary. 

County Wise

If you are not familiar with subways and other modes of public transportation, try to learn before you go. It may take a while to get used to the Tube but there are some apps that will help you. 

There are many day trips outside London that are easily reached by train. Buying a ticket can be an adventure so feel free to ask an attendent for assistance. You can even get to Stonehenge by train with a little effort.

I might suggest some of the many free and/or paid walking tours of London. THere is one for almost any interest and it is a much better introduction to the city than the "ride of shame" offered in so many cities.

Listen to the hotel staff if they advise against certain parts of the city. There are parts of the city that can be dangerous. I doubt you would go there but mark them on your map.

Nationally Recognized

Take a tour through the Windsor castle, see the changing of the guards, visit Picadilly Circus and if you can, catch a show at the Royal Albert Hall. Tour the city on a double decker bus and have some great fish & chips. I personally enjoyed Harrods. Their food court is great! Fill up a hamper and head to Hyde Park. 

RJean