cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experiences with the Chase Portal?

Nationally Recognized

Experiences with the Chase Portal?

I know this is a competitor of Barclya's but I dont think it's any secret that we're all frequent travelers and we all have credit cards other than Barclays so here goes: I just booked multicity flights through the Chase portal for my husband and I to visit France this summer. I did everything I could to check for award flights that worked for us but honestly with our lack of flexibility and short time span it seemed like the best way to go was through the Chase portal. However, I'm a little scared because I had one bad experience with Chase customer service and tonight had to call the UR people again, and they are just so terrible at helping. Honestly the customer service team just seems like people who don't travel looking at the same screen as you but not knowing as much about what to do. Just checking here: has anyone had a GOOD experience with them? I'm stronly considering cancelling my tickets in the AM.

11 Replies
Internationally Known

Re: Experiences with the Chase Portal?

I recently booked a flight to Seattle through the portal, with no problems, and have booked hotels in Europe before through it. However, I've not had any issues that required me contact them, so I have no experience with their customer service.

Nationally Recognized

Thanks. My previous customer service experience with them was terrible, but that was before they switched to Expedia, so I am hoping that now they are a little moer together...

Internationally Known

I have contacted them few times before they moved to Expedia platform. Did not have much bad experience with them. You might check out the AT101 Facebook forum run by Richard Kerr for more information regarding their service. There was several discussion threads regarding Chase travel portal recently.

Nationally Recognized

Thanks! Will do. I had really hoped to book with just miles and have a little more control and flexibility, but it's hard to do with peak travel and specific needs...not to mention some of those fuel surcharges!

Highlighted
Internationally Known

I do not have any experience with it but I have heard mixed reviews.

This topic really illustrates why I like my Barclays Arrival Plus so much ( and no, Barclays did not pay me to say that). I find that my Barclaycard gives me such great flexibility to book anywhere at anytime and not have to go through a special portal to get (supposedly) the best deals. If I find a good deal on Southwest Airlines, I can book it. If I find a good deal with Enterprise Rent-A-Car, I can book it.

I have often alluded to the fact that the Barclays Travel Community is one of the main reasons why I prefer the arrival Plus but the flexibility of the Arrival Plus is another reason. 

Internationally Known

Tee bee too, I haven’t used the UR Travel Portal yet but I have messed around with it some.  I have a decent number of UR points I’ve been saving to use for a big trip.    I have one of the perfect trifectas of Chase cards (Saphire Reserve, Freedom and Freedom Unlimited) and I have complemented them with several other cards one of which is the Arrival Plus, which I use quite often.  I will be looking into the UR travel Portal for our trip to Asia next February for either airfare or hotel and I’ll be using my Arrival points to pay for our cruise out of Hong Kong.  I have heard only good reviews about the UR portal plus you can transfer the UR points to several airlines and some hotels.  Some of the transfers are decent deals and some are not so good.  Oops!  Sorry I got off topic.  Be sure to let us know how it works out for you.

Nationally Recognized

Thanks, Gefe. I think the portal is really easy to use and it makes it really easy to book things, but since they outsource to Expedia customer service can be really terrible. Also, booking straight through the portal is great because it is 100% free with points, but often a tad bit more expensive than tickets online. You have plenty of time to make transfers and get exactly what you need and travel in style! The portal is great for us for this trip because we have really limited dates and specific places we need to be. The Arrival is still a top choice for spontaneity though;)

Nationally Recognized

the customer service team just seems like people who don't travel looking at the same screen as you 

I think you're exactly right. The Chase portal is a good way to redeem points when it has the travel you want, but those folks at Expedia are not helpful travel advisors, and calling in is rarely useful.

Nationally Recognized

Nope. They just read off the screen like robots and have no idea what any of it means.