cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experience with Norwegian Air?

Nationally Recognized

Experience with Norwegian Air?

Some friends are looking into potentially flying with Norwegian Air for an upcoming trip to Europe but have never flown them. I know it’s a budget airline and may not have the “frills”, but what is your experience flying Norwegian Air?

6 Replies
Highlighted
Internationally Known

Re: Experience with Norwegian Air?

Personally, I have never flown with them, but the reviews don't look very favorable. If your friends book with them, I would suggest they check to see if the credit card they use will cover unexpected travel expenses in case of a cancellation or maybe look into travel insurance. 

Also, it seems like they charge extra for just about everything, including water. To me, sometimes when you add up all the extra charges, it's not worth taking a low cost airline, especially on a long flight. 

RJean
Internationally Known

I have actually taken them several times, and never had a problem.  In fact, they were pretty good.  The planes were new (typically 787s) and the staff friendly.  The key is to know what to expect.  If you want a bottle of water on the plane you are going to pay.  Same with food.  When they say carry on bags are limited to 10kg, they mean it (they will weigh your bag).  Good luck!

Stately Explorer

I almost exclusively fly Norwegian airlines. They are budget/economy but are absolutely not in the same vein of Spirit/Frontier/RyanAir etc. They have stunning customer service and yummy meals. Just choose the lowfare+ option to ensure a meal (which are surprisingly not bad) and baggage on a long-haul. 

I have NEVER had a problem with Norwegian which is more than I can say for literally every other airline I have flown. Bags always arrive, staff is always friendly and helpful, and I have never had a delay or cencellation with them! And if you check in early they are generally very leniant with baggage size/weight. I might be lucky but its been a great experience thus far.

They don't have the "frills" of Lufthansa or Air New Zealand but they are safe, friendly, and do the job. I recomend them to all my friends.

Nationally Recognized

I agree with @Skye19. I took Norwegian to London and will happily do it again. The Dreamliner plane is new and nice, cabin staff were great, seats were comfortable, operations efficient. It's nothing like flying Frontier or Ryanair. But you do need to avoid any unpleasant surprises and buy whatever baggage and meals you want beforehand.

Internationally Known

I've only flown one round trip (Boston to Madrid via London), but would happily use them again if it fits my travel plans. All went fine. 

Internationally Known

I've flown Norwegian Air from Baltimore to Guadeloup and Martinique, so they weren't the longest flights ever, but we had absolutely no problems. As others have said, just be prepared and know what to expect and it should be fine. Definitely better than a Spirit or Frontier.