cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Egypt?

County Wise

Egypt?

Any recommendation?  Places or itinerary advice from a recent trip? Also what other places near Egypt would you be willing to see. 

2 Replies
Internationally Known

Re: Egypt?

I really loved visiting Egypt. My trip was not recent, it was actualy in 2006, but I spent a month there. I spent about 5 days in Cairo, 5 days in Dahab, and the rest of the time in Alexandria, with a quick weekend jaunt to Aqaba, Wadi Musa, and of course Petra. I actually wished I had more time. I had a lot of work to do at that time, which is why I hunkered down in Alexandria for so long (it's a very comfortable and walkable city). But I woudlhave liked to have time to go to Luxor in the South as well as Amman while I was in Jordan.

Internationally Known

Re: Egypt?

Cairo and area, of course, to see the pyramids of Giza. If you book a car, you can also see Memphis (not much left, just some small ruins), step pyramid of Saqqara, and Djoser pyramid (which most drivers say is far and want extra for). If you have an extra day, you can check out Islamic Cairo, which extends along al-Muizz Street.

In Luxor, you can check out all the attractions on the East and West Banks, especially Karnak temple, which is supposedly the 2nd largest temple site in the world (behind Angkor Wat). Some people also extend their journey to Aswan and Abu Simbel, but we ran out of time.

To give a heads up... we did see a lot of significant sites, but the trip was not strictly enjoyable. There are far too many touts and scammers. Some relentlessly followed us for blocks pestering us to tour with them after repeated no's in English and Arabic. Other scammers keep insisting that a certain subsection of a tourist site requires extra pay and try to prove that they are official.