cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Destination Anywhere....almost...

Nationally Recognized

Destination Anywhere....almost...

Hi guys.

I am in a funny predicament. I have 2 weeks to travel this summer and a lot of points and miles, but with so many rewards programs switching to dynamic pricing, I'm having a hard time booking flights for less then a couple hundred thousand points on Delta, or a little better on American, and availability is scant since I have to travel during high season because of the holidays.

So what I am wondering is where might there be good award availability during that not so cheap time to travel? I am willing to go many places, but I have been specifically looking at South America (Argentina, Chile, or Uruguay) or maybe Sri Lanka or Thailand. I can cover the hotels with points, but wher might I find a decent airline deal? Thanks, Travel Brain!

4 Replies
Internationally Known

Re: Destination Anywhere....almost...

American Airlines has a cool feature that lets you type in the number of miles you are willing to spend and you can see where they might take you...

check out: https://www.aa.com/awardMap/home.do

Internationally Known

Wow! I ahve never heard of this! Thanks so much! I can't wait to check it out!

Nationally Recognized

Wow this is really helpful and I even just discovered a city that I never knew existed! Thanks!

Nationally Recognized

Some of the best Delta miles redemptions won't be on Delta flights, but partners like Virgin Atlantic or Air France since those are not subject to dynamic pricing.

Or, Delta has been doing a lot of "flash sales" lately, with huge discounts on points bookings to specific areas, watch for one of those...but, probably not as much during the peak time like summer.

There's a reddit group called awardtravel that can help with specific ideas.