cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Day Trip Ideas Near Madrid, Spain?

County Wise

Day Trip Ideas Near Madrid, Spain?

I am going back to Madrid for a second time and my friends and I would like to do a day trip/ one night somewhere nearby! Around a couple hours on the bus or train is fine but looking for somewhere new (we have been to Barcelona, Granada, San Sebastian, Cordoba)! Any suggestions?

9 Replies
Internationally Known

Re: Day Trip Ideas Near Madrid, Spain?

A hair over your couple of hours, but a good option would be to go to Seville on the AVE train. Only takes about 2. 5 hours. The train station is walkable to the center, or buses & cabs are right outside Santa Justa station to get quickly to the Cathedral and The Alcazar. You could get off the train for a quick revisit of Cordoba and La Mezquita on the way (we never get tired of Cordoba).

County Wise

Great suggestion—thank you!

Highlighted
Internationally Known

I cannot agree more on Seville. 

But, if you are interested in having other options to consider, Segovia or Toledo would be excellent places. In Segovia, you can see amazing Roman aqueduct and Alcazar. In Toledo, you will have travel back to the medieval time. Both places can be readily accessible by train or bus in less than 2 hours. 

County Wise

Great! Thanks for the recommendations! 

Internationally Known

Another great choice that's easy to reach is Avila, with its remarkably preserved walls and cathedral. 

Internationally Known

Great topic!  I'm hoping to book a trip there this summer for my birthday and will be using some of these suggestions as well :)

Internationally Known

I would recommend Toledo, easy day trip on a train

Internationally Known

Indeed Madrid is one of my favorite places in the world for day trips, with so many great locations easy to reach via transit, regional trains or short bus rides. In addition to the fine choices mentioned already, consider Aranjuez (a UNESCO World Heritage Site); Alcalá de Henares, an old university town closely associated with Cervantes; and El Escorial, with its large palace including many art treasures. You could easiy spend a week doing worthwhile day trips out of Madrid.

County Wise

Great suggestions-- thank you! I have been to El Escorial and loved it. Such rich history, I would also recommend in a heart beat!