cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ciudad Juarez, Mexico

Internationally Known

Re: Ciudad Juarez, Mexico

Yes, it really is sad. While in El Paso, we got to see a temporary exhibit of artworks created by teenagers who were interned at the Tornillo Detention Center. These teenagers painted scenes from Guatemala and neighboring countries. There is obviously some great artistic talent in that Detention Center. I just hope that those kids are somewhere safe now.

Internationally Known

I have just returned home from a one week trip to the United States-Mexico Border Region. I spent most of this time in El Paso, Texas but I also visited several other small towns near the border.

Our tour bus took us (legally) along the border fence for several miles. At several locations, I was able to look across the border to Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua, Mexico. I just could not go there due to the extremely long wait times to get back into the United States right now.

During my visit, a few of my preconceived notions of the Border Region were changed. Others were reaffirmed. Most of them however, were modified a bit.

One thing that I quickly learned is that El Paso and Juarez are really the same city. They just happen to have a national border, a river, and a border fence running between them. Thousands and thousands of people cross back and forth every day. Many El Pasoans have friends and family members who are Juarenses. Many Juarenses have friends and family members who are El Pasoans. Many Juarenses speak English, many El Pasoans speak Spanish.

Starting tonight, I will be writing several stories about El Paso-Juarez and the Border Region. I will frequently use the expression El Paso-Juarez because these two cities are forever united despite the border that runs between them. You cannot talk about one without the other.

Internationally Known

Looking forward to reading your stories and seeing pictures.  I’m sure a lot has changed since I was there many years ago.  There are some movies out about the area and there used to be a TV series.  My brain isn’t working to well right now to remember the titles.  I just got the news that I have to have a right side hip replacement.  It sucks getting old.  Oh well, at least I’ll be able to get back into my daily walks again.  

Internationally Known

The TV series was, canceled in 2014, called, “The Bridge.”  If I remember the movie I’ll let ya know, maybe, “Border Town.”  I’ll look it up.

Internationally Known

Yep, the movie is Bordertown with Jennifer Lopez.  It’s based on a true story about the time all the women were disappearing and later found buried and dead.  

Internationally Known

Good luck with your hip replacement! Know many people who are just doing fine after that...let's cross fingers that all goes well! Maybe its worth a story or two at some point...just kidding! All the best!

Nationally Recognized

Thanks for your update. I look forward to reading your stories.

Internationally Known

Liketraveling, Thank you for the well wishes.  I just hope they hurry up so it doesn’t interfere with any of our plans and I already tried to think about how could I make a story of it.  HaHaHa!