cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cape Town

Internationally Known

Cape Town

So I posted before about the possibility of going to the Phillipines or Australia for Christmas this year, but we have actually settled on going to Cape Town and renting a car to do the Garden Route. Are there any suggestions for things to do in and around the area? Thanks!!

8 Replies
Highlighted
Nationally Recognized

Re: Cape Town

Cape Town is one of my favorite places. Make sure you book a cape tour to visit the cape of good hope. Also, try to fit in a safari - i did one outside of joburg, but i think there are some near cape town.

Internationally Known

@doubleu1017 Did you feel safe while traveling here? The more research I do, the more I see warnings about crime. We would obviously stay out of shady areas and not be out after dark, but I still wanted to check with someone who has been there. 

Thanks!

Nationally Recognized

I actually felt very safe in both Cape Town and Johannesberg during the day. We were concerned about the crime too and we took many precautions. We took guided a guided cape of good hope tour and a guided safari tour. We took the hop on hop off bus to visit Table Mountain and Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens so we didnt do too much exploring on our own. We made it a point to be back in our hotel by night time and we always traveled as a group (my mom, sister, and I). 

I think these precautions may have helped. We were nevery in sketchy or scary situations.

Internationally Known

Thank you so much! I'm super excited about this trip and am very thankful for the information :) 

Internationally Known

I felt safe in Cape Town (was only there for 3 days) but not so much in Jo-Burg. V&A Waterfront in Cape Town is safe at night, and so is "First Thursdays" area on the First Thursdays of each month. My favourite drive near Cape Town was Chapman's Peak and from there we continued onto M6 (also very beautiful). Let me know if you need Vineyard recommendations near Cape Town and along the R62 or even Garden Route.

Internationally Known

Thanks for the info!  For now, the plan is the Garden Route, so anything you have for that area would be great!  

Internationally Known

Herold Wines on Montagu Pass. Only because it's on Montagu Pass. If you don't like driving on old gravel roads, then take the Outeniqua pass and turn back towards Montagu Pass at the end I guess. Also maybe "Map of Africa Viewpoint" on Seven Passes Road, only because it's on 7-Passes

Internationally Known

Thank you so much!