cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying Your Rental Car?

Internationally Known

Buying Your Rental Car?

So, I will probably be doing a three day drive in a Rental Car next week as part of a rent to buy program. More specifically, I will have a 2018 Kia Sportage with perhaps 14,000 miles on it. At the end of the rental period, I will have the option of buying it. I am very seriously considering this as I will need to replace my old car in the immediate future.

Have you ever thought about buying a rental car this way? Did you have any luck with it? Okay, I know that it is a Kia, but Kia seems to be cranking out some pretty good cars nowadays.

8 Replies
Internationally Known

Re: Buying Your Rental Car?

I never bought a rental car, but I do know that rental cars are usually abused much more than an average private owned car. While that may be deterrent there are definitely lots of people that are very happy with their purchased rental car. 

I would suggest having a competent mechanic take a look at the car before you purchase it. 

Internationally Known

I am in Kudos jail or else I would Kudo your comment. I spoke with my mechanic about this vehicle. I will be able to bring it in for pre-purchase inspection. I like the fact that it only has about 14,000 miles.

I suspect that a lot of used cars for sale are actually former rentals.

Internationally Known

BelfryBat, I have never bought a rental car but I agree with Explorer2.  I have always treated rental cars with care out of fear of being charged for something extra, but I know of people that have beat the living stuffin' outta rental cars. I guess if you find a good one it might be worth thinking about.  I'm not in Kudo jail yet, probably close, so I loaned you a kudo for Explorer2.  Hahahaha!

Internationally Known

Can you find out the rental history?  More specifically, where the car was based out of or number of rentals that added up to the 14,000 miles?  I would think you could tell a little something about how hard a car was driven based on information like that.  A car based out of Utah has probably been driven hard down dirt roads in national parks.  One out of Orlando, has been driven to Disney 1400 times...

City Slicker

Like many, I've never bought a rental car but I did buy a car with about 20,000 miles on it from a guy who worked up north prior to moving to Houston. I didn't think much of it at the time but a couple years after I bought the car, I noticed some squeeky breaks. When I took it to a mechanic, he told me the bottom of the car was completely rusted most likely due to salt on the roads during the winters up north. This didn't just include the bottom of the car but also the brake pads, calipers, and rotors, which cost me nearly $1,000 to replace. It may seem like a small thing but I've had 3 mechanics tell me that I will soon have some serious issues on my hands down the road if I keep the car. Luckily, I barely drive it because I live in town so I'll be keeping it for at least another 5 more years. It may seem like a small thing but be sure your mechanic looks at stuff like that. It's probably more prevelant with rental cars because people drive them everywhere.

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Does a resale rental car have a Carfax?  I've never used it before but I know others who have.

Internationally Known

I believe that they do provide a Carfax or similar report. If not, I will purchase one. I did one of the free VIN checks and that looks good. I figure that between these checks, and 1 or 2 pre-purchase inspections, I should have a good idea of any problems with the car.

For whatever it is worth, I have friends who drive Kias and they say that they are really happy with them - ie no unscheduled maintenance. Even if I do not buy this Kia Sportage, it will be fun to compare it with the Nissan Rogue that I took on a three week drive across the United States in October.

Obviously, I do not know where this 2018 Kia has been driven, but it seems to have been largely based out of San Antonio, Texas. Thus, I am hoping that it mostly avoided snow and salt.

Internationally Known

Well, I have not been very active on here lately because I have been busy with the car shopping. I did end up purchasing a car from Hertz, although it was not the one that I rented. I will do a couple stories about this because I do feel it is relevant to travel, especially for those who might in fact want to purchase their rental car.