cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Warm cities in US for winter vacation?

Nationally Recognized

Re: Best Warm cities in US for winter vacation?

As usual, I'm late to the party, but do consider Charleston, ma deah. It can be cold (in the 50s) by a Southerner's standards, depending on when in winter you're going. It's very walkable, very hsitoric, and there are things to do with children like a harbour boat trip, the aquarium, and museums. Tours to nearby plantations are available or you can rent a car if you're flying in. Just some thoughts.

Happy Travels!

Tags (2)
Internationally Known

Check out Sanibel Island and Captiva Island. Gorgeous beaches and lots of shelling. You can fly into RSW airport in Fort Myers. Also from Fort Myers, you can take the Key West Express Ferry to Key West. 

RJean
Internationally Known

I know we are a bit past winter now, but I am hoping to visit Brownsville, Texas next month. That is a very popular winter destination. If I'm able to go, I will write some stories about it. Hopefully my stories will give people some good tips if they are thinking about heading to that area.

City Slicker

Just spent 8 days in New Orleans in March and had a fabulous time.  We picked it for the weather (60s and 70s - much better than in NY!), but found the city packed with history, music, and food options.  We did several Free Tours by Foot and enjoyed every one.  Also loved the WWII Museum and Mardi Gras World.  Very easy to get around on buses + trams, although we rented a car for two days to go out to plantations (30-45 min away) and to a state park near Lake Pontchatrain - definitely worth it.  Overall, a wonderful destination!

Internationally Known

Not sure if San Diego made it to this list but it's really gorgeous any time you visit and I am already thinking of doing a stopover there on my way to Mexico in January, so I figured I'd pop back into this post;)

City Slicker

@mharriso wrote:

Just spent 8 days in New Orleans in March and had a fabulous time.  We picked it for the weather (60s and 70s - much better than in NY!), but found the city packed with history, music, and food options.  We did several Free Tours by Foot and enjoyed every one.  Also loved the WWII Museum and Mardi Gras World.  Very easy to get around on buses + trams, although we rented a car for two days to go out to plantations (30-45 min away) and to a state park near Lake Pontchatrain - definitely worth it.  Overall, a wonderful destination!

We've been thinking about visiting this place! Great to hear it is a nice destination and you had a great time.

Stately Explorer

I was going to originally suggest Sanibel island which I love escaping Wisconsin to, but if you are looking for somthing uncommon why not Hawaii.  With Southwest recently starting service there I see a lot more flight sales recently.  Hope this helps!