cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Warm cities in US for winter vacation?

Internationally Known

Best Warm cities in US for winter vacation?

Living in the frozen tundra of the midwest, we try to take a vacation somewhere warm every winter if we can. We have been to southern California twice and we have family & friends in Arizona and Florida, so we typically end up in one of those states, but looking to try something different.  Any suggestions? I love historical cities and walkable cities, and beaches and/or hiking are always a plus, but not necessary --really open to any ideas for someplace that has temps ideally 60 or above in the winter.  I should also add, that I'm not ruling out AZ, FL or CA. We haven't been to several areas in Florida that look interesting... St. Augustine, The Keys, or anywhere in Southern Florida. 

16 Replies
Internationally Known

Re: Best Warm cities in US for winter vacation?

Trips4me,  I’m far from an expert on Texas but from what I understand the weather on the Gulf coast is good in the winter.  Or there are other locations in Texas that have historical sites to visit.  I have only looked into a visit or two for the future.  Years past I’ve been to Houston, Dallas and El Paso but it’s been many years so I have no recommendations.  Maybe other Community members can shed some more light on this topic for you.  Happy researching and good travels.

Internationally Known

Thanks for the response. I have a friend currently in South Padre, TX. I'll be curious to hear what she thinks about it when she gets back. I was also looking into Savannah, GA, Charleston, SC and New Orleans, LA, three states we haven't been to yet.  I just started researching today. 

Highlighted
Internationally Known

I was about to suggest New Orlean before I saw you're considering it.  It's usually plenty warm in winter, and everything is so unusual and different about it, the vibe, food, music, etc.

Internationally Known

We just got back from Miami a couple weeks ago and we took a day trip to Key West.  It’s plenty warm there in the winter.  There is always southern Nevada.  If you’re not a Las Vegas fan there are plenty of other activities in Southern Nevada and into Arizona.  

Internationally Known

If you consider AZ to be warm in winter (despite potential 40s during the night and snowfall in higher altitudes), you will definitely like Texas. If you want beach, head to South Padre Island. For party, bars and good music, Austin is the place to be. You like history, San Antonio has plenty with the Alamo. And for quaint towns head to Texas Hill Country and check out places like Greene, New Braunfels and Fredricksburg. If you are into nature, Big Bend National Park is a great bet.

Surprised that you would not consider anything further south. Many great places are just a short flight away: Belize with Ambergris Caye, Cartagena in Colombia, Granada in Nicaragua plus the beaches further south, Costa Rica’s Pacific coast, Mexico’s Tulum, Puerto Vallarta or San Miguel de Allende, just to name a few...

Internationally Known

New Orleans has always been on my bucket list. I know I would love it. Now I just have to convince other family members of this! Thanks

Internationally Known

@liketraveling, by winter I mean late November, which is typically warmer. Plus I'm used to negative temps up here so 60 degrees is really warm to me right now! haha. We travel with family for Thanksgiving. It's a bit of challenge to coordinate everyones preferences. Thanks for your tips on the more south of US locations. I'd love to go to any of those if I can convince the rest of the fam. 

@Gefe57 will look into Southern Nevada, thanks!

Internationally Known

There's a lot you can do there to appeal to different family members in and around the city. For kids there's the Louisiana Children's museum and the Aquarium and the World War II museum for older kids. For older folks, the Plantation houses outside the city are great, and you could probably do a swamp tour which is beautiful, but may not see a lot of wildlife in November. Good luck with the plans!

Internationally Known

I second the idea of South and Central Texas. The Hill Country has a noticeably different climate from the I-35 corridor. Some parts of the Hill Country are up around two 2,000 feet elevation, which is high for Texas. As a result, some parts of the Hill Country do get a light dusting of snow once every two or three years.

Many areas of the Hill Country have been discovered and are becoming much more populated than they were 20 years ago. As a result, there are quite a few attractions in the Hill Country but the closer you get to I-35 the more crowded it gets.

Quite a few people from the Upper Midwest have settled in the Hill Country in recent years so you will fit right in.