cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Sites for Flights

Stately Explorer

Best Sites for Flights

I was speaking with a friend who also enjoys traveling and was surprised she had never used momondo.com! I thought I'd put it out there in case others are looking for booking sites offering the best deals (and let's be honest, who isn't?!).

My hands-down best sites to use when booking flights are momondo.com, skyscanner.com, and statravel.com.

In my experience, I have always been able to find the cheapest flights from momondo or skyscanner (even if sometimes it's only by $10). STA doesn't always have the best prices, but they offer great deals for students and youth (they consider a 'youth' traveler to be under 26!). I was able to score a one-way ticket from Dublin to Seoul for $400 (regular:$800!) from STA.

What are your top picks for travel sites? Any other obscure ones out there we should know about?

5 Replies
City Slicker

Re: Best Sites for Flights

Thanks for suggestion. I have never heard of momondo.com either and usually use Kayak. Momondo seems to have better search engine for "hacker fares"

City Slicker

I like airfarewatchdog.com, they seem to have the jump on the sales and crazy deals. They are also very active on a Twitter and you set up specialized email alerts for specific cities.

I've never heard of Momondo - thanks for the heads-up!
County Wise

Haven't tried statravel.com before. I often check theflightdeal.com, and I've been able to find some good deals on there. I've also heard about seatguru.com and vayama.com, but I haven't used them yet.

City Slicker

Personally I use Airfare Watchdog and Student Universe. For Student Universe you have to be under 26 years old and a student I believe, but they definitely offer decent discounts. Sometimes these listing websites don't include the cheapest airlines though. For instance when traveling in Asia, AirAsia, Tiger Airways, Jetstar, and Scoot are often not included since they are too cheap to pay the websites to list their flights on there. So sometimes you have to do a bit of digging

Internationally Known

I've used Momondo for many years. It's one of the best ones!

Depends on where you're flying though. For intra-European travel for example, Skyscanner is great since they index most of the budget airlines. For more "unusual" destinations, Skyscanner sucks since it gives so many false positives.

For these more unusual destinations, Expedia actually sometimes has the best fares. Several times, I've seen fares there that are not sold anywhere else. It's like they have access to special fares that others don't. Worth checking out. Perhaps not for your standard LA - Las Vegas flight, but for more unusual destinations.

For travel in the US/Canada, itasoftware is amazing, once you learn how to master it. It is the most powerful flight search engine out there. It is also very useful for international flights, but since it relies on airlines' official fares and not discounted (negotiated) fares, it doesn't always give the best prices. It doesn't include a bunch of the budget airlines either.

Kayak can be worth checking as well, especially now that they list some "hacker fares".

Then there's hipmunk which always comes up with interesting (often very inconvenient, but cheap) flights.

Also Google Flights which is based on itasoftware, but has a more user friendly UI.

@f1y1ngdutchman, I think momondo and skyscanner might include those airlines. It's not that the airlines are paying these flight search engines to include them, but rather the search engines index the airlines' websites either periodically or on a user's request! (I.e., when you search for a flight from Bangkok to Hanoi, these sites can go to 100 different other websites in parallel and run your search for you, then aggregate and display the results.)