cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barcelona - ride from airport to city center & other stuff

Internationally Known

Barcelona - ride from airport to city center & other stuff

Hi guys. Just booked us a flight to Barcelona on miles for next year. Any particular advice for transportation from the airport to the hotel in Garcia? Read a lot about trains, buses, taxis, private limousines and non-existing Uber type apps...tending to just take a regular taxi for about € 30-35...

And as I have your attention, anything we should not miss in Barcelona? We will stay for 6 nights in Garcia...

Thanks in advance for your input!

6 Replies
Internationally Known

Re: Barcelona - ride from airport to city center & other stuff

You can catch the Aerobús from the airport, Terminal 1 or 2, and it will get you into the center of town (Placa Catalunya right near the Las Ramblas) is the fastest way to reach Barcelona city Centre, it took us about 30 minutes and the tickets are about 6 euro. We did it with 2 suitcases with no problems. 

Below are a few pics of our favorite places, but there are so many more. Around town there are over 20 Gaudi sights alone...his most famous is the Sagrada Familia.  You might also look into taking a day trip or two...IMG_5646.JPGSagrada Familia, should be finished in 2026.IMG_5673.JPGCathedral of BarcelonaIMG_5836.JPGLas Ramblas Human StatuesIMG_5738.JPGMercado de La Boqueria, huge!IMG_5787.JPGGaudi House & MuseumIMG_5803.JPGArc de Triomf, the entrance to the Barcelona World's Fair in 1888. Watch for the green parrots!IMG_5799.JPGTorre Agbar, a big office bldg, almost became a Hyatt, you can't go in, but it's fun to see the exterior.IMG_5743.JPGManchego cheese, best with a glass of sangria.IMG_5662.JPGW Hotel right on the beach, you will see it when you fly in.

RJean
Internationally Known

Liketraveling,  we just took a taxi from our hotel to the airport it was the easiest option especially since we had a fairly early flight.   I will not duplicate Rjeanr’s recommendations.  I would make sure you visit Park Guell (get your tickets in advance, the guy at the hotel helped us with this), Montjuic Castle (the castle and the cable car ride up the mountain gives you great views of the city), there is the Port Cable Car at the waterfront (can be an option to get to the castle), walk along the waterfront and see the giant lobster and the many other pieces of art (the head of Barcelona, the Waves sculpture, etc), take a stroll through La Rambla (there are interesting sights at each end and through La Rambla), placated Catalunya (downtown end of La Rambla) there is the Barcelona Olympics site on Montjuic, The Christopher Columbus Monument (hopefully the top observation area will be open for you), close to the monument there are numerous historical buildings, don’t forget the Tapas, there are numerous locations scattered throughout the Gothic Quarter (walk along some of the smaller streets), there is a shopping mall at the water front (I mention this because there are the Miraestels floating statues, the views of the city and the bridge).  There is so much to mention and we were only there 4 days.  We got passes for the hop on hop off bus and walked everywhere else.  Our hotel (Park Hotel) was on Av. Del Marques de  l’Argentera across from the train station which is near the City Park.  On weekends they have an open air market along Passeig de Louis Companys which is also where the Arc de Triomf is located.  I’ll leave off here and if I remember anything else earth shattering I write it down.  Rjeanr already mentioned La Segrada Familia, i highly recommend a visit but get your tickets ahead of time.  There is a hop on hop off stop near by.  It’s a great city and hopefully we get a chance to return becaus3 we didn’t have time to see and do everything.  Have fun planning.

Nationally Recognized

We just took a taxi to and from the airport, but I know the bus is also an option (and probably cheaper). We did download the mytaxi app and get €10 off our first ride so that helped, plus we shared the taxi with another couple. As others have said, the Sagrada Familia is very cool, I recommend a tour with a trip up the towers + audio guide. You take an elevator up the tower but you do have to take the stairs down. You get unique views of the sagrada itself from the towers (we did the nativity tower) and also a grey view of Barcelona. There are many of Gaudi's other works as well, including Park Guell which is free for part of the park, with an optional paid entrance to see the rest of it. Note that if you take the metro to the Park Guell stop, the walk to the park is all steeply uphill. Not super far but not an ideal walk to get to it, and it takes you to the back part, so it takes awhile from the station to get to the 'meat' of the park.

La Rambla and Mercado de La Boqueria are must sees. Try the dried hibiscus at the market! It is similar to sweet dried fruit and tastes very good. There is a bar close to La Rambla called La Oveja Negra (the black sheep) that is neat. It looks like a hole in the wall place from the outside but is actually quite large inside. Also, try a Kalimotxo. It’s a drink popular in the basque region of Spain, but you can order one in Barcelona as well. It’s just coke mixed with red wine, but I actually enjoyed it. Montjuic Castle is neat, and I reccomend the cable car as well. Though expensive, it is a scenic way to get up and/or down from the top of Montjuic.Europe April 2019-666.jpgPicture taken through the bars in the door of the prison cellEurope April 2019-685.jpgPark Guell

Europe April 2019-662.jpgPrison cell at Montjuic

Europe April 2019-618.jpgMontjuic CastleEurope April 2019-539.jpgSome of the stairs down from the towers in the SagradaEurope April 2019-623.jpgView of Barcelona from MontjuicEurope April 2019-637.jpgMontjuic CastleEurope April 2019-642.jpgInner Courtyard of Montjuic CastleEurope April 2019-648.jpgMore views from MontjuicEurope April 2019-655.jpgInner courtyard of Montjuic from aboveEurope April 2019-672.jpgCable car at MontjuicEurope April 2019-673.jpgViews from the Montjuic Cable car

Europe April 2019-464.jpgOutside view of Sagrada

Europe April 2019-504.jpgView of the city from one of the windows on the way back down from the Nativity tower

IMG_2204.jpgLa Oveja Negra, a neat bar to check out near La Rambla

Europe April 2019-551.jpgInside Sagrada Familia. Every detail is significant, the audioguide goes in depth as to the meaning of each design element, from the height of the church, to the different stone used in each area, to the story that each side of the building tells. Gaudi described it as a bible in and of itself, telling multiple biblical stories with architecture.Europe April 2019-594.jpgThe stained glass is also designed in a way to cast colored light onto the ceiling, creating a rainbow effect. The other side has more blue and purple tones.

Internationally Known

you guys are amazing!!!! thanks for all the info, a lot to work on...6 nights just won't cover all there is to see, its gonna be fun and exhausting at the same time. Yeah, and a taxi is likely the best way...the airport bus does not stop at the hotel, so we will need a taxi anyway and maybe save € 10 overall, probably not worth the effort, given that we will be jet lagged...still plenty of time, will keep me busy! Barcelona will be just the start of our trip....

City Slicker

Check out this iste https://www.reasontosee.com/city/barcelona

You can find here everything you have to see + tours or skip the line tickets

Internationally Known

Thanks for that, will dig into it...