cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barcelona Suggestions?

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Re: Barcelona Suggestions?

Jeff, consider staying overnight there.  We did and it really is like staying in a monastery.  They have simple rooms, a simple restaurant, with nothing fancy, but it really was unique.  The best part is at the end of the day, after the buses have left, you have the entire place to yourself.

Highlighted
Internationally Known

That sounds awesome.  Thanks, I'll have to keep that in mind.

Highlighted
County Wise

An early project of Gaudi's was a home in the "antique" area of town--incredible design and decoration for a rich client whose wife apparently didn't care for it.  We loved it--Palau Guell. Even the chimney pots are exquisite. Also in the Gothic quarter is a fun restaurant, Els Quatre Gats. (The 4 Cats--it's a Catalan idiom) It was a hangout a century ago for modern artists, apparently, and it's very big with tourists. Take a look, at least.  For something different, try to look inside some of the old manzanas--blocks of buildings made up with interior courtyards. The obvious "to-do's" are just that--for good reason--the Gaudi buildings, La Sagrada Familia, and Parc Guell.  We were there a week and wished for more.  Oh, no joke about being careful at night in the little streets of the quarter.  We were on a tour with Road Scholar, but if we go back on our own, we'll probably use the hop on/hop off bus for the overview--we use them in many cities, and they do cover the high points.

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Barcelona is my favorite European city so far. Make sure you book tickets in advance to places like La Sagrada Familia. We didn't do a hop on hop off and were fine with that. We got a transit pass from holabarcelona that gave us unlimited use of the metro, buses, etc. Plus it included the trip to and from the airport. We found the metro to be clean and safe.  For food, I recommend getting a meal at the market off of La Rambla. 

If you are traveling with kids, I recommend the Mission:Barcelona scavenger hunt book to keep them interested in the sites. 

Highlighted
Internationally Known

We are definitely planning on seeing La Sagrada Familia and Park Guell and I think we will most likely purchase ahead. We were considering the monastery, but I do like the idea of staying near there one night so I may save this for another trip. And I'm all in on getting a drink at Els Quatre Gats. I just read Pablo Picasso used to drink their so that sounds pretty cool.

It will be hard to balance eating tapas and sightseeing, but I think that is a good problem to have! Thanks for all the information, this has given me some good ideas and helped me decide on if I should squeeze in Montserrat. 

Highlighted
Nationally Recognized

We're heading there in late June/early July this year. A bit freaked out now that a case of coronavirus has popped up there. I'm here in Chicago and we've had 2 cases thus far. It doesn't make me any less worried.

Highlighted
Internationally Known

@Kozman

It seems to be increasing in Spain and I have found myself checking the counts in Spain and Barcelona daily. Very stressful!

Highlighted
Nationally Recognized

@webbie20bb wrote:

@Kozman

It seems to be increasing in Spain and I have found myself checking the counts in Spain and Barcelona daily. Very stressful!

Yes indeed. And now we have 3 more cases in Chicago as of today. It's coming, slowly, but it's coming. And it's been fairly contained in Spain in so far as I've been keeping a watch on things.

Highlighted
Nationally Recognized

I guess I spoke too soon. http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2020-03/04/c_138840442.htm Lord have mercy.

Highlighted
Nationally Recognized

In case if you will have extra days plus a rental car, I would recommend visiting Cadaqués. It is about 3 hour drive from Barcelona and such a beautiful seaside town, especially if you love art.