cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arizona road trip ideas

Internationally Known

Arizona road trip ideas

Hello fellow travelers, I am looking for suggestions about an Arizona road trip in mid-March. We love the desert, canyons and everything with a "National Park Service" stamp on it. Besides the National parks (Grand Canyon, Saguaro, Petrified Forest) what are the other interesting places you would recommend us to visit? We are flying to PHX and then taking this probable route: Sedona - Grand Canyon - Marble Canyon - Page/Monument Valley / Mexican Hat- Canyon de Chelly/Navajo National Monument - Petrified forest - Saguaro - Phoenix - PHX. Do you have any favorite natural spot in these areas? Any specific recommendations for moderate hikes or scenic drives? I would appreciate all your suggestions as I am in the early stages of planning the trip. I have been to Grand Canyon, Page and Monument Valley earlier but planning to go back again this time.

6 Replies
Internationally Known

Re: Arizona road trip ideas

Sounds like a great trip. I would plan on walking at petrified forest.  you can see a lot of neat stuff within a mile or so of the road if you explore their trails. We saw almost no one on any of them. It seems like one of those parks people just drive through quickly, but it’s worth the effort to get away from your car. 

Internationally Known

Love that area! Meteor Crater just off I-40 between Flagstaff and Winslow is pretty cool for a stop. A little further east from your circuit is El Mapais and Acoma Pueblo (Acoma Sky City) in N.M. that we loved if you have time (couple of hours east of Petrified Forest).

Internationally Known

Thanks for the suggestions, I am not sure if we can drive that far east to NM due to time constraints but I am adding Meteor Crater to my list. Looks really interesting place to visit.

Internationally Known

Hi parkhopper. Love Arizona and could go back in a heartbeat. The drive northeast of Phoenix via Apache Junction (Tortilla Flat, Goldfield Ghost Town) to Apache Lake is a good one. This is how Arizona used to look like.

Internationally Known

Goldfield Ghost Town looks amazing in pictures. I am going to include this to my route for sure.

Internationally Known

Just saw few of your stories on Arizona. They will greatly help me planning my March road trip. Keep traveling :)