cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appennine Colossus - Florence Italy

Stately Explorer

Appennine Colossus - Florence Italy

Has anyone gone to see the Appenine Colossus while in Florence? I came across a picture of it in my research for our trip and would love to go see it but I know it is only open certain days. Is there a way to figure out which days? Is it worth taking the time to travel out of the city to see it with only 2 days in Florence?

3 Replies
Internationally Known

Re: Appennine Colossus - Florence Italy

Unfortunately, we did not make it there during our trip because if memory serves, the park is only open on weekends. I remember having a hard time finding that out.  Maybe contact your hotel for further information. That being said, make sure you book everything else you want to see in Florence as much in advance as you can. Things sell out very quickly. 

Also, if you get sick of pasta, there is an amazing sandwich shop that is so popular that they have two or three stores in teh same area -  All’antico Vinaio.  We had this one night and it was beyond amazing. 

Stately Explorer

Thanks for the info! What would you recommend in Florence? My husband isn’t very big into art and museums. I’m a little more interested in them but wouldn’t want to spend several hours given the short time period in Florence. We will arrive in Florence on a Friday around 6:30pm, so we have only the evening Friday, all day Saturday, and then just the morning of Sunday, as we have a train on to Venice leaving at 1pm. I have been considering booking tickets to climb to the top of the Duomo

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Mercato centrale for a good choice of many different foods and drinks. If you're interested in the Medici, the Medici chapel is small and beautiful with the tombs of the Medici. I've done a story on doing an Eatwith dinner there which was fun with a pasta making class, the lady's name was Patrizia and we had a great time doing that. If you've got any medical interest or background, the small Miseracordia museum by the Duomo is interesting and uncrowded. Climbing the Duomo is worth the time as well. Finally if you want to just walk, consider walking up towards the church of San miniato through the rose gardens, it's a nice walk.