cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Tips for the Maldives?

Internationally Known

Any Tips for the Maldives?

My partner and I are in the very early stages of planning a potential Maldives trip in March/April 2020. The reason we are planning out so far is because we know this will be expensive, and we want to work on acquiring the necessary miles and points to subsidize the cost. I’m planning to search for stories on here today, but would love to hear from anyone that went to the Maldives and could share some tips. Where did you stay? What activities are available once you’re there? Is food/alcohol really as expensive as it seems?

7 Replies
Internationally Known

Re: Any Tips for the Maldives?

Yeah man we went to the full-on Park Hyatt Hadahaa on points and it was awesome. I believe it's 25k Hyatt Points per night, which yields excellent value. That books into a beach villa, which we loved. Food is exhorbitant. We did the breakfast buffet each day and ate our packed in food the rest of the time. Ramens, freeze dried meals, etc. Can't bring any booze into the country at all (so no duty free booze) and the sauce on sale at the resort is super pricey. Good time to detox. Recommend bringing your own snorkel gear. Most resorts will rent it out for free, but require it to be turned in daily which I find annoying. No way to use air miles for the domestic flight ($500 pp rt) to this resort, so good time to use arrival miles. Excursions are also quite pricey, so we chilled and snorkeled mostly.

Internationally Known

Thanks for the info! We're looking into the Hilton Conrad Rangali Island, since we already have a huge stockpile of Hilton points. Would just take one more Hilton card to push us over the amount needed for a week in an overwater bungalow. If we get that Hilton card, it also comes with Diamond status, which provides free breakfast and a happy hour each day. I think that's when we would be doing the majority of our eating and drinking haha

Yep, Barclays miles/points seem like a great use for the seaplane once you get to Male. If we did all of that and only had to pay for excursions and dinners, I think I'd be fine with the cost. Definitely need to keep researching though. 

Edit: Also looking into using AA miles to fly business class on Qatar Airways both ways. If anyone has any experience with that, would love to hear it.

Internationally Known

Sounds like a great plan to me. We wanted to go via Doha on a biz award too, but availability wasn't there at all on the doh-mle leg. If you run into that, you may want to consider flying to Colombo Sri Lanka. They tend to have good biz availability in general across various carriers and are a short and often cheap 1 hour hop from Male. You can use avios to fly CMB-MLE as well. This could be particularly good if your available options were going to require an overnight stay in Male anyway. We took Cathay biz using AA miles to Colombo, explored a couple days there then used 4500 avios to hop over to Male.

Internationally Known

Great suggestion. We are planning to start looking for availbility exactly 331 days out, and we are flexible with dates, so hopefully we can find something direct from Doha to Male. Although I wouldn't mind seeing Sri Lanka. 

Internationally Known

Markr867, I don’t have any info on the Maldives but that Hilton card you are talking about getting is a great card.  I love mine.  I chose Southwest as the airline for the $250 airline credit.  The credits actually worked when I purchased Southwest gift cards through the website.  I also use it to make the payments for our timeshare through Hilton Grand Vacations and get 14 points per dollar, plus the $250 Hilton Resort credit workbed for that.  That covers the annual fee plus $50 extra.  I highly recommend the card to anyone that stays at Hilton.  

Internationally Known

@gefe57 wrote:

Markr867, I don’t have any info on the Maldives but that Hilton card you are talking about getting is a great card.  I love mine.  I chose Southwest as the airline for the $250 airline credit.  The credits actually worked when I purchased Southwest gift cards through the website.  I also use it to make the payments for our timeshare through Hilton Grand Vacations and get 14 points per dollar, plus the $250 Hilton Resort credit workbed for that.  That covers the annual fee plus $50 extra.  I highly recommend the card to anyone that stays at Hilton.  

I agree. I'm sure the high annual fee of $450 scares people away, but if you can make use of the benefits, it's definitely worth it. The airline credit resets each calendar year, so you can get $400 worth of value from that alone in the first year. Plus the $250 resort credit, and they offer a $100 credit at Waldorf Astorias and Conrads, and we'll be staying at a Conrad. I think we'll be able to get at least $2500 in value from it since we'll also get one weekend night free, and in the Maldives, one night in an overwater bungalow adds up fast. 

Internationally Known

If ya play it right you should be able to get that and possibly more.  The free weekend night where you will be staying will probably cover the annual fee alone.  Have a great trip.  The Maldives is on our bucket list, but not for quite some time.  Can’t wait to see pictures and hear about it.