cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anthony Bourdain

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Anthony Bourdain

News this morning reporting the death of Anthony Bourdain. His shows greatly influenced my approach to travel, making me try hard to get off the beaten path and try to find the essence of a place, it's food, culture and atmosphere and how history helped create the mix.  His lust for life and experience made him a personal travel hero. Hard drinking and irreverent, he had an inimitable style. So many of his shows are so memorable. One of my favorites was one where he was stranded in an apartment in Russia where an old woman was making koulibiak (an old fish pie recipe) for him. It took hours with him sitting there with nothing to do except drink vodka, then she left him alone after midnight with nothing but the fish pie (which he didn't like but felt he had to eat) and the vodka to wash it down.  Hilarious. rip Tony.

3 Replies
Internationally Known

Re: Anthony Bourdain

I never have followed his shows, but the news today piqued my interest. I travel through West Virginia on a regular basis and he seems to have quite a following there. I understand that he often spoke well of the state and the locals appreciated that.

Nationally Recognized

I had not heard. Wish there was a sad kudos for this. What an innovator. He will be missed.

Stately Explorer

Well said Ed. I was genuinely heartbroken when I heard this. I really looked up him and the way he walked in the world. He had this amazing combination or grit and kindness. He had such a simple way of highlighting our similarities instead of exhaggerating our differences.