cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

temporary authorizations

City Slicker

temporary authorizations

Just got the card last Monday and hit the road for a business trip Wednesday. I checked out of a hotel Friday morning and the charge for it sat in my Temporary Authorizations tab all weekend and all day today, and now it's in neither that tab nor the Posted Transactions tab. Same with a few fast food charges--they're neither here nor there. 

How long should it take for transactions to clear/post, and why are some (but not all) of my charges not listed at all? 

8 Replies
Stately Explorer

Re: temporary authorizations

IME, that means the charge will post the next day after 8AM ET.

City Slicker

I'll sit tight, then. I guess I don't watch the progress of charges on my other cards like this, so perhaps it's not a fair to watch this too closely. 

Stately Explorer

It's good to know, I also wondered and then noticed a pattern of them posting the next day.

City Slicker

Same thing happened to me too. Very confusing because the balance is correct, the charges are just missing. I called CS and they said the system updates every 12 hours, at which time the temporary authorizations move over.

City Slicker

Yup, all the charges appeared this morning. Glad to know this is normal / expected behavior. 

Thanks! 

City Slicker

This happens to me all the time, and I cannot stand it. Some (but not all) temporary authorizations disappear for a day or two, before reappearing as a posted charge. I follow my finances almost daily, and because of this I never really know what my total charges have been. At one point I contacted Barclay through the messaging feature, and all I got was a canned response about how temporary charges are temporary, as if that's what I had asked. I have yet to find any explanation for why some temporary charges temporarily DISAPPEAR. Extremely frustrating.

Community Manager

Hi @BrewParents, Thank you for your feedback. Just to clarify, a temporary authorization occurs when a merchant tests to confirm that your credit card account is valid and/or has sufficient Available Credit. Gas stations, restaurants, hotels, car rental agencies, and airlines commonly use temporary authorizations because the card information is often provided before the final transaction amount is known. Please note that this list is not all-inclusive; temporary authorizations are a common merchant practice. Examples include $1.00 for gasoline "Pay at the Pump" purchases and hotel reservation amounts.

Temporary authorizations are deducted from your available credit only; they are not included in the account balance. The charge will be included in your account balance when the actual transaction amount is determined and posted to your account.

I hope this information helps. Let me know if you had any additional comments. Thank you!

City Slicker