cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

any plans for EMV chip cards?

Highlighted
Stately Explorer

Re: any plans for EMV chip cards?

I'd love to have this card with chip on it. I will be in Brazil next summer for the world cup and having the chip would make this card awesome! I used my Priority Club Rewards in Europe in summer 2012 and it had no chip. Got stumped by the ticket vending machines at Gare du Nord in Paris and Machester Piccadilly rail stations. In Paris, I almost missed my flight to Madrid because of that!

Highlighted
City Slicker

GREAT points, CITY HOPPER!  As a World Cup aficionado (only been to one W.C. but Brazil is a definite pull), I can foresee a much easier time there with Chip & PIN.  Never mind that an increasing number of U.S. travelers across the world [now that the recession is fading -- at least somewhat and certainly for business travel] will also clamor for a MODERN card which should no longer be a "second class citizen" next to the worldwide usage of Chip & PIN.

Really, Jennifer, why SHOULDN'T BarclayCard be a leader in this Key travel area instead of a feeble tag-a-long with the so-called "big " banks?!?

Highlighted
Stately Explorer

Money and demand are probably two key reasons. The implementation and cost of manufacturing a Chip & PIN card would need to be balanced against the demand. People want EMV but will enough want it and put sufficient spend on it? Of course I want to see EMV but I don't think a huge portion of the cardholder base are clammoring for it. Would anyone be willing to pay a one-time EMV upgrade fee of a few dollars?

Highlighted
City Slicker

Emeritus,

Is demand a real problem?  When there are hundreds of credit cards offering the exact same thing the Companies seem to think there's enough "demand/sufficient spend" to keep introducing more & more  --  of the same/similar thing.   {Are you sure you aren't a possibly-unsuspecting  "Arrival" status quo advocate -- I HAVE read all of your responses herein  ;-)      ...kinda just kidding.}

Perhaps a survey of BarclayCard Arrival's actual Users would assist this obvious Decision.  Why on earth pay a BANK yet more fees [one-time or not] for the privilege of spending my money with their Arrival card all over the World instead of merely in the U.S. of A. ?

I would offer to help the Bank with the cost of implementing a Chip & PIN EMV by taking myself and my entire family off their mailing list.  The savings in postage and printing cost for the 4 of us alone over the course of a year would be something.  USE email, if BarclayCard must solicit its current customer base.

Highlighted
Stately Explorer

I'm an Arrival cardmember and am not a status quo advocate lol. I travel the world and have been very disappointed with a lack of EMV. I just like to consider things from a business standpoint. Is there enough demand? I'm not sure but my guess is not right now. Still I want EMV on my Arrival just as badly as anyone else and one of the first things I did after getting my card was to ask about EMV ;)

Highlighted
City Slicker

Yes, Emeritus, I did note that you were one of the first to ask (desire) the EMV.  I am glad of that, believe me!  I appreciate your reply re seeing this situation from a business standpoint.

However, I am a Consumer with many options for "just a regular" Travel credit card --  even ones with no Annual Fees.  I didn't get the Arrival because I sought it out but because Barclay Bank took over my former Midwest/Frontier travel credit card.  That said, I was pleased with what I thought the Arrival had to offer in this worldwide travel venue.

To keep me USING this Arrival card in lieu of seeking  another travel card for my wallet Barclay SHOULD consider this issue from this Business standpoint -- GAINING an additional customer base of worldwide travellers.  Their spending would also be quite lucrative to Barclay.

So, I continue to add my voice to the others on this site for a CHIP.

Again, at the very least, if this is about Money to be spent (I say "Invested") by Barclay it would behoove them to at least survey its current Arrival users.

Highlighted
City Slicker

I'm not very concerned about chip & PIN or chip & sig. It all depends where you are going. In Europe, you might be slightly limited (yes, only slightly!) without EMV, but in Asia having any type of chip card can cause problems -- especially throughout China. God invented different cards with different features / functions. Choose accordingly.
Highlighted
City Slicker

Barclays just missed out on $4,500 in travel charges because the agency requires a chip card and luckily chip and signature was good. Chase got the business since my other card from them now has chip which they sent me overnight. Barclays is just taking too long here. Your parent is a British bank, have them help you develop the chip plan and launch it already lol IMHO this should've been part of the plan since last year and a chip should've rolled out in time for summer 2013 travel season. At this point my Chase Visa gives me better service and options and now has a EMV chip so I think Arrival card will get less use altogether.

Highlighted
Stately Explorer

Would you mind sharing what travel agency this is and which Chase card you used?

Thanks!

Highlighted
City Slicker

GlobeStar Travel in London and I have Chase Sapphire Preferred which is now EMV so that's replacing Arrival since I am disappointed with the upgrade issue and lack of EMV.