cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to Arrival premium card?

City Slicker

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Upgrade to Arrival premium card?

Been asking the same question. Could definitely take advantage of the $25k level and don’t understand why there’s no upgrade option. Keep hearing it’s coming but when?!?!

City Slicker

Re: Re: Re: Upgrade to Arrival premium card?

Any update on the upgrade?

Thanks

City Slicker

I am wondering this too. Love the Arrival Plus, my spouse and I use it exclusively. I want to be able to upgrade because as stated earlier, some people don't have need for two credit cards that have annual fee's (eats up the benefits).

Would love to be able to get the premier without paying for two annual fee's, and without closing my current account.

Community Manager

Hi all, 

Thank you for your comments. 

As @GeneaD mentioned above on this thread, at this time we do not currently offer product upgrades from Arrival Plus to Arrival Premier.

Arrival Plus cardmembers can apply for Arrival Premier and potentially have both cards upon Arrival Premier approval. If interested, you can apply online at ArrivalPremier.com

Thank you!

Internationally Known

@savagetsunami wrote:

I am wondering this too. Love the Arrival Plus, my spouse and I use it exclusively. I want to be able to upgrade because as stated earlier, some people don't have need for two credit cards that have annual fee's (eats up the benefits).

Would love to be able to get the premier without paying for two annual fee's, and without closing my current account.

I am in the same boat. I do not need both cards, but I would consider upgrading from one to the other if an upgrade is offered in the future. For now, I will keep the Arrival Plus as it is a great card for me.

City Slicker

This makes absolutely no sense...

Your reasoning for the structure of the Premier card offer (i.e. no bonus miles at signup because you want to "encourage loyalty") completely contradicts the way the this card is rolled out. I have been an Arrival Plus member for 3+ years and would definitely upgrade. However, If I am going open a NEW line of credit, then it's going to be for a card with a signup bonus and far better benefits. If this doesn't change by the time my card is up for renewal new month, I will definitely be closing my account. Judging from the reactions in this community, you may very well lose customers over this "loyalty" card!

City Slicker

Amen!

Stately Explorer

From the beginning, the messaging wasn't clear about existing accounts that want to switch. I keep hearing "You can apply," but I don't want a new account. I still don't understand why it isn't an option. 

Internationally Known

I agree that the inability to upgrade is confounding on its face. I think the real reason for this is because the "miles" earned by the arrival and arrival plus are different than those earned by the Premium card. The former's "miles" are really just points redeemable for a fixed value of 1¢ per point against travel purchases. The Premium card earns miles with the ability to be converted to actual airline miles (like JAL miles), which can be far more valuable than 1¢ per mile. 

All that to say, Barclays probably doesn't want to allow conversions up to the premium card because they don't want people to be able to instantly (and perhaps dramatically) increase the value of their existing Arrival/Arrival Plus miles, which I think is understandable. They could get around this by telling folks that they have to expend or forfeit their existing Arrival/Arrival Plus miles before they can process the upgrade. My best guess is that they kicked this idea around and settled on the belief that this would upset people more than simply disallowing upgrades outright.

City Slicker

Re: Upgrade to Arrival premium card?

@Stormtrooping2

You make a good point about the reward structure, but hat happens if someone has both Arrival cards?  Are the points kept separate?