cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to Arrival premium card?

Highlighted
Stately Explorer

Upgrade to Arrival premium card?

I have Arrival plus card right now. Called customer service to see how to upgrade to the new premium card and was told that upgrade is not available. I need to fill out application again. Doesn't sound like a good customer rention strategy. Anyone had better experience?

10 Replies
Community Manager

Re: Upgrade to Arrival premium card?

Hi @victoria_pa,

Thank you for your message. We are not currently offering upgrades from Arrival Plus to Arrival Premier. Arrival Plus cardmembers will have the ability to apply for Arrival Premier in about 30 days or so. We will inform the community when this upgrade is available. If you have any additional questions, please let us know. Stay tuned. Thanks!

Nationally Recognized

I have been watching and waiting for upgrade news as well. I am looking to expand my card collection in the next few months as I may be traveling quite a bit in the next couple of years. I am weighing my options right now and looking forward to any positive annoucements from Barclays.

City Slicker

Is it worth upgrading?  I've heard the current card isn't going away but just won't be offered any longer.

Nationally Recognized

Is it worth upgrading? I have been giving this some thought. I will list a few pros and cons of the Premier vs. the Plus that I have noticed.

Premier Pros:

Loyalty Bonus - this could be very nice if you can hit exactly 15K or 25K in spending.

Global Entry Reimbursement - if none of your cards provide this, you might appreciate it having your G.E. fees covered.

Lounge Access (sort of) - The Premier will get you into some Airport Lounges, but you will still need to pay a $27 entry fee each time.

Transfer Partners - The Premier lets you transfer your miles to a few airlines.  BUT the transfer rates are rather poor, so you might be better off keeping your miles on the card and shopping around for good deals - unless you are saving up for a first class seat on one of the transfer partners.

Premier Cons:

Higher annual fee - $150 vs $89

Bye Bye 5% redemption - the Premier does away with the 5% redemption that you can get with your Plus.

For now, I am going to keep my Plus instead of upgrading. That being said, I will continue to watch for any improvements to the Premier. I would be willing to pay an even higher annual fee (above $150) if I could get FREE lounge access (with a guest) and the ability to transfer miles between Barclay cards (ie Wyndham, Choice, Premier, etc) in addition to the current Premier benefits.

The Premier certainly has some potential, but I am not quite ready to part with the Arrival Plus. The Plus has been good to me thus far.

Community Manager

Re: Re: Upgrade to Arrival premium card?

Hi @mrmikb – yes, you’re correct,  Arrival Plus isn’t going away, we have currently discontinued the product offer. If you’re interested in learning more about the card, I’ve added a link to the Barclays Arrival Premier blog on the site. If you have any questions, let us know.

@BelfryBat,thank you again for sharing your feedback!  

Nationally Recognized

Sure.  I really,  REALLY,  want this card to succeed. 

City Slicker

I'm disappointed with the way Barclays has rolled this out. They had a major snafu when they selectively chose only a population of the original "Arrival Fee" card to get upgraded to Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite MasterCard. So why a repeat but this time no option? And now the entire marketing scheme for Arrival Premier is LOYALTY but Barclays, may I ask where is your loyalty to your cardholders like me? You want my loyalty but show me none. Why can't I choose to switch to Premier? Why can't my existing Arrival or Arrival Plus miles convert to Premier? If you have a few cardholders with hundreds of thousands or millions of miles you don't want to suddenly transfer at your ridiculous conversion rate, impose limits for product changes. Example, only accounts with less than 100,000 existing miles can convert to Premier and have those miles qualify. Make redeeming miles beyond a certain threshold a requirement or simply don't allow people with a significant miles balance to convert. 

Let me tell you what Citi did with my old Citi Expedia Premier card with a $0 AF. They forced converted me to the Citi ThankYou Premier card with an AF of $75 however honored the original terms and never charged me the fee. The card was later enhanced and the fee went up $95, but I still retained my $0 fee for myself and AUs. And no this wasn't a shady product conversion where if I sneezed the terms would revert, I could get credit line increases, APR reductions, make changes and still keep the terms. They even converted my points 1:1 to the ThankYou program that allows 1:1 program partner transfers. Citi does it right but Barclays? Not good. 

Show me some loyalty and recognition for being a day one Arrival Plus member and provide a path to Premier with miles preservation. Heck you should upgrade everyone from Plus to Premier and let us keep the $95 fee as a loyalty bonus. If Citi can eliminate $75 a year for five years and $95 a year for the last three, why can't Barclays forgo $55 a year? 

City Slicker

I applied and was denied. As an Arrival Plus Card Holder for more than 6 years, having never missed any payment, and with a credit score of 780, I got denied! 

Community Manager

Hello @dapang. We're sorry to hear this and apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. For further information we would ask that you contact our credit team directly at 866-408-4064. Our agents are available 24/7. We hope you find this information helpful. ^KH