cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel Credit Redemption Reversal due to Covid-19 Trip Cancellation

Highlighted
City Slicker

Travel Credit Redemption Reversal due to Covid-19 Trip Cancellation

I used several thousand points for travel credits for United Airlines charges on my Barclays card in February and March.  That trip has been cancelled due to Covid-19, and UA has credited my account.  However, Barclay's is saying that I will not get those used points back, even though the charge they were used for has been reversed.  Has anyone else had this experience?

5 Replies
Highlighted
Internationally Known

Re: Travel Credit Redemption Reversal due to Covid-19 Trip Cancellation

My experience, from our cancelled trip in February, was that our travel arrangements (full cruise fare, excursions and a tour to Mt Fuji) we're refunded back to my Arrival + account by the companies.  I used my miles to cover the charges but when the refund came I had cash credits on my account.  In my experience I got the refund with no issues in the form of cash credit not points.  That worked for me.  I turned around and rebooked my cruise (to a different location in the middle of October) and used the cash credit to cover the cruise and some of the excursions.  Then when you spend with your card covering the charge with the credits you will earn your 2 points per dollar.  It all works.  
Jeff

Highlighted
Internationally Known

nhm1234, the way I read your note is that United gave you a travel credit, equal to the value of the plane ticket.  If so, Barclay's shouldn't also refund your points, as you would then be double reimbursed.  If you are disappointed that United didn't just refund the $ to Barclay's for the ticket, but instead gave you a travel credit, I completely agree with you, as the same thing happened to me.  The airlines aren't returning anybody's money (economy tickets are usually considered nonrefundable) just issuing travel credits.  I hope that makes sense, and it is of course possible that I misread your note about how you were copensated for your cancelled travel.

Highlighted
Internationally Known

I agree with everything in the prior two posts.  By way of example, I had a trip to Boston planned for next week.  I booked via Expedia (long story).  The trip involved different airlines there vs back.  The "there" leg was cancelled by the airline, so my Barclays card was refunded the amount of the flight.  The "back" leg wasn't cancelled by the airlines, but I myself cancelled it.  As such, I get only a credit for airlines miles with the carrier.  

In effect, I unknowingly monetized my Barclays points for cash (in the form of a Barclays card credit).  I don't expect to get the Barclays points back -- nor will I - since I received equal value for a "travel" purchase which never came to be.  

Highlighted
City Slicker

Thanks for the reply KennyM.  I understand your point, but wonder if when your trip charges were refunded to your Barclays card, didn't Barclays deduct points from that statement because of the credit?  This is what happens when I have credits to my card.  In my case, I spent points as a travel credit and when the actual charges were credited back to my card from the airline, Barclay's also deducted earned points from that statement equal to the credit.  I feel like they get to have it both ways.

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Well, you got miles for the original charge so it is just fair to withdraw them again when the charge gets credited back to your account...just a thought