cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips on Earning More Points?

Highlighted
Nationally Recognized

Re: Tips on Earning More Points?

@gabbisdaddy. Can you pay your mortgage and utility bills with a credit card? Most people don't have that option, and if they do there is often a hefty service charge that negates any points you might earn. If your utilities allow this without an extra charge, you are lucky.

Of the bills you list, the only ones I can pay via credit card is cell phone. I also pay my insurance and fuel oil by credit card. But it's still surprising how fast points build up with just everyday expenses. 

I'm not sure how Barclay's feels about it, but some credit card issuers get upset if you pay your bill off early and then charge to the limit again. I have no idea why this bothers them, since you are not running up an unpaid balance.  But some card issuers don't like it. I've read of people getting their cards cancelled for this behavior. So if you really are charging more than your credit limit each month (and paying it off on time), you should see if you can get your credit limit raised. Sometimes all you have to do is call and ask.

City Slicker

"I have no idea why this bothers them, since you are not running up an unpaid balance. "

IIRC, if there's no unpaid balance, they don't earn money (interest).

Nationally Recognized

That's an argument for discouraging people from paying off their balance in full every month. This is a different issue.

Some card issuers seem to be upset by the fact that they "gave" you only a $2000 credit limit but you found a way to charge $3000 in one month. The point of a credit limit is not to limit the amount you charge on the card. The point of a credit limit is to keep you from running up a huge bill and then defaulting on it. 

In any case, I don't know if Barclay's has a problem with this practice - just warning you that they might. 

City Slicker

"Can you pay your mortgage and utility bills with a credit card?" I already have all my bills going to a credit card, but not the mortgage. It seems that with my current bank I cannot do that. 

With the rewards earnings potential of the mortgage, I'll look around to try to find a lender that will allow a credit card auto pay. If all the numbers are good I'll refinance to them.

Internationally Known

How do you manage to pay for your mortgage with the Barclay Card?

City Slicker

I am having the same problem with not being able to log into rewards boost.  it keeps cycling me back to the home page where i am already logged in.

Has there been any resolution to this?

I have also used Safari and Firefox.

Thanks,

Gary

City Slicker

Have you received any help with this yet??  I am having the same issue.  I have contacted Barclay several times, but no one can really seem to help.

Thanks,

Gary

City Slicker

They did get in contact. Like me, you are probably ineligible. 

Their first response was to check if I was using the correct browser. I replied and said I have used multiple up-to-date browsers and enabled cookies-- that was not the issue. I then asked if they looked to see if I was even eligible. They replied and said that I was not.

I let Barcalay know that I should not even be targeted for this program, and they should modify their landing pages based on the type of card the customer has. When I login I shouldn't even see the option for Rewards Boost. Seems like an easy programming issue that they should invest in to save some headache. It would also save their customer service team some time dealing with this issue. 

City Slicker

great reply.  Thanks for the info!

City Slicker

Unfortunately, Travelocity is now showing only a 1 mile earn rate, not 2.  Ditto all the other flight vendors in Rewards Boost except Southwest (which I never fly).  I'm disappointed -- I'm a new cardholder and this is one bonus I was looking forward to.