cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips on Earning More Points?

County Wise

Tips on Earning More Points?

Hi, I'm new to the travel community and new to "earning travel points." Does anyone have any good tips or suggestions on how to stack up more rewards? For example, someone gave me the tip to use the rewards card to buy gift cards at a grocery store that offers fuel discounts points.  I buy starbuck's gift cards with by Arrival MasterCard to get fuel points and earn stars on their app.  

21 Replies
Highlighted
Nationally Recognized

Re: Tips on Earning More Points?

Book your travel through the Barclay's Rewards Boost site. It's not as straightforward as it could be, so here's how to do it. Let's say you're booking airfare.

1. Starting at home page, click Rewards Boost "Shop Now"
  2. In the little blue box on the left side, click "All Online Stores."
  3. This brings up a panel labeled "Shop by Category."  Hover the mouse over Travel.
  4. From the popup menu, select "Flights" 
  5. FINALLY you are at the payoff screen. You'll see a bunch of 3rd-party booking sites like Expedia, Travelocity,  with an "Earn Rate" next to them. The "Earn Rate" is the number of ADDITIONAL reward miles that you will get by booking your airfare through this link.

I like Travelocity, and it has an Earn Rate of 2 extra miles. So I clicked on that and booked my airfare that way. I got exactly the same rate I had found independently of the portal, and (unlike some reward portals) there was no extra fee tacked on. So instead of the 2x points I would always get for buying the airfare with Barclay's, I get 4X points.

I assume that you can get the same kinds of deals for hotels, cruises, vacation packages etc.

Nationally Recognized

And there's another bug. Auto-numbering doesn't work in this editor. In my previous post the steps for using the travel portal were supposed to be numbered. And they were numbered 1-5 in my edit window. But when I submitted the post, the numbers were gone.

County Wise

I will check that out. Thanks!
Internationally Known

Wow ..... Good tip Dreamshark. I am going to take a look at this right after I get done typing. Unfortunately I just got done booking 8 days of rooms in 3 states and 4 different cities. Wish I had read this tip before I went ahead and booked. I'll let you know if it works for motels/hotels as well as airfare.

City Slicker

I just booked a cruise through travelocity using the Barclay Boost. So I will earn 2 miles/$1 along with 4additional miles/$1 for going through Barclay portal. Thanks for the info.

City Slicker

Make sure if you're thinking about buying gifts or anything random that you don't need right away make sure you check the Reward Boost website first and order online. I've gotten up to 5x the points doing that. I also used my card to purchase cruise shore excursions (travel x2) and I use it when I go out eat which is also x2 points. Once I get home I pay off the charges.

City Slicker

I'm having a hard time logging in and accessing the reward links.

1. I login to my Barclay account,
  2. click "Shop Now" Barclay Reward Boost,
  3. and then once on the Reward Boost page it doesn't recognize me as logged in,
  4. Barclay Reward Boost directs me back to the Barclay homepage to login
  5. This cycle repeats

It's maddening that I can't login. Anyone else having this problem? Or have a trick to login? I've used Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. 

I sent a message to customer service. Waiting to hear back. 

Community Manager

Hi @mouse100 We apologize for the inconvenience. Let me look into these issues for you regarding Rewards Boost. Thank you!

UPDATE 4/11: Checking in @mouse100 you should be able to access the Rewards Boost area now. Let me know if you are still having issues.

City Slicker

Our main source of earning rewards is recurring bills. Mortgage, cable, electric, gas, cell phone, water, sewer, everything. Pay with Arrival, rack up the points. If your credit limit isn't that high but your monthly bills are, carefully calculate when each one gets paid and pay your card multiple times a month.

For instance, if your limit is two thousand, and your mortgage is seventeen hundred, make sure to have your regular bank auto transfer seventeen hundred to Arrival the day of, or day before, the mortgage payment hits. 

Will this be a pain to keep track of? Maybe. Is it worth it? You betcha :)