cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Premium Version of Arrival Plus Card to Be Launched Soon!

Internationally Known

New Premium Version of Arrival Plus Card to Be Launched Soon!

Thought I would pass along that parts of the travel blogosphere are abuzz with word that Barclaycard is soon to launch a new, higher-tier version of the Arrival, which may end up being called the Barclay Arrival Premiere. It's said to have a $150 AF, and will include a global entry/TSA pre check credit. Unknown what else will be in store. Expected to go live on or around April 1st.

It will be interesting to see what other benefits they can add in with the roughly $60 increase in fee versus the Arrival Plus. Also it will be interesting to see if there will be any enticing incentive offers for existing cardholders to upgrade.

11 Replies
County Wise

Re: New Premium Version of Arrival Plus Card to Be Launched Soon!

Wonder if we will be able to get the card and the sign up bonus if we already have the Arrival+? Either that or like you said, if there will be an incentive to upgrade the card. Hopefully card is appealing and one of those things is true!

Internationally Known

Doubtful that they'll allow us to get a sign up bonus when upgrading from an existing Arrival card, based on my experience with those situations.

On the other hand, Barclays may handle this in the same way they do their AAdvantage Aviator line. Their Aviator Red, which I have, is their mid range $89 AF card. They also offer the premium Aviator Silver which adds on Global Entry Credit, increased miles earning, and a quicker path to elite status with AA for a $195 AF. Thing is, the only way to get the silver card is to upgrade from the Red (and maybe from the no AF version): there is no direct application, and importantly, no sign up bonus.

One blog is saying that there will be ongoing spend bonuses for the new Arrival Premiere: 15000 bonus miles the first $15k spent within a year, and another 10000 bonus miles for each additional $10k spent per year. 

It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds!

Internationally Known

Thought I would add that a blogger is now reporting that the new premium Arrival card will have points that are transferable to several airline awards programs. If this proves true, it could be a real game changer, in my opinion. No clue yet as to which airlines it will be, but Barclays already issues credit cards for several...

Internationally Known

Most likely they will add American Airlines, Lufthansa, and Jetblue for the airline and Wyndham and Choice for the hotel rewards. It would be a real game changer only because of AA miles and their amazing Oneworld redemption capabilities.

Internationally Known

Those partners certainly make sense based on the preexisting relationships Barclays has with those programs. However, multiple bloggers are quoting an unnamed "reliable source" stating that there will be six airline partners, meaning this would go beyond those airlines that Barclays already issues cards for.

To your point that out of the programs that you mentioned, "only" AA would be a game changer, I disagree. Lufthansa would provide access to awards on Star Alliance members like United, where it's easy to get value well north of the roughly 1 cent per mile that we are currently getting from our arrival miles. Similarly, JetBlue miles are consistently worth 1.4 cents to 1.7 cents per mile. That's an overnight 40 to 70% increase in the value of our miles. 

I agree that the hotel partners are far less compelling, though there are a few interesting redemption opportunies there too.

Internationally Known

I agree with you, forgot that Lufthansa is a Star Allience member. It would great way to use the miles on Singapore Airlines or ANA. I would hate to travel in United though, even if it is free. Jet Blue is a great option for domestic. Their planes are the best in USA. Somehow, I was under the impression that Jetblue credit card is issued by Amex. 

Internationally Known

Good points! I agree that JetBlue offers the best base-level coach experience among US domestic carriers. They also have a nice network into the Caribbean and northern South America. I think JetBlue and Amex get mentioned together often due to the fact that you can transfer Membership Rewards points to JetBlue, and Amex frequently runs transfer bonus promos for such transfers.

PS, I'd kudo you but I am fresh out!

Internationally Known

Well this is interesting: bloggers are now stating that the new Arrival Premier card will neither have a sign up bonus, nor will existing Arrival/Arrival Plus holders be allowed to upgrade to the new card.

The second part of that strikes me as particularly strange (if true). Why not allow an existing holder of a card within the Arrival line of cards to upgrade if they are willing to pay the fee? I certainly would not like the idea of having to apply and get another hard pull on my credit report just to upgrade to a card within the same card family. Hopefully the bloggers got this one wrong!

Internationally Known

Bizarre, indeed. Not great for rewarding loyal customers - and I've never heard of a credit card (especially a premium one) not offering a sign-up bonus.