cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improved Barclay Aviator Benefits?

Nationally Recognized

Improved Barclay Aviator Benefits?

Hi guys. I have heard some rumors that the Barclay's Aviator Benefits card might be improving a bit for card holders, and I was wondering whether anyone else has heard about this. Thanks!

5 Replies
Highlighted
Internationally Known

Re: Improved Barclay Aviator Benefits?

@teebeetoo wrote:

Hi guys. I have heard some rumors that the Barclay's Aviator Benefits card might be improving a bit for card holders, and I was wondering whether anyone else has heard about this. Thanks!

This would be great!

I have been wondering if some of Barclays products are due for a relaunch. The Arrival Plus has been revamped a bit (larger sign-up bonus for larger spending threashold). Perhaps more importantly, the Arrival (no fee) and Arrival Premiere have been closed to new applicants lately. I have long been suspecting that some Barclays employees have been crowding around a drawing board these last few weeks.

Nationally Recognized

I'm excited to see that one of the benefits that has been added is a $25 wifi credit! I really don't like spending $ on wifi since it can be a little lackluster on places but this will come in handy. Especially since it's a charge that is too small to cover with a Barclay's Arrival statement credit;)

Internationally Known

I've had the Aviator Red since it was the US Airways card which gave (until these changes take effect) 10k miles at each card year anniversary. That's soon to be gone. Then they're  also slashing the 10% of redeemed miles back (up to a total of 10k miles back per year) to no miles back. I view the changes as a net negative. Between AA miles becoming harder and harder to redeem, me generally not needing a checked bag, and not caring about priority boarding (which is in zone 5 anyway), the value proposition of this card is really taking a massive hit for me with the negative changes. The things that they are saying that will be added to the card don't offset the losses for me. After 7 years, it might be time to reconsider keeping this card. I may downgrade to the no fee version for the benefit of my credit score.

Nationally Recognized

You make some really good points. I just got the card recently, so for me, the sign on bonus was very nice, but just this week I also experienced the frustration of trying to book reward flights with AA. They make it nearly impossible, and it seems like they are punishing members who know there are direct flights, but offer only award flights with 1 or 2 unnecessary stops. This is another reason I value the Barclay Arrival so much: I can choose exactly what I want and offset the price.

Internationally Known

@teebeetoo wrote:

You make some really good points. I just got the card recently, so for me, the sign on bonus was very nice, but just this week I also experienced the frustration of trying to book reward flights with AA. They make it nearly impossible, and it seems like they are punishing members who know there are direct flights, but offer only award flights with 1 or 2 unnecessary stops. This is another reason I value the Barclay Arrival so much: I can choose exactly what I want and offset the price.

Yes, this is why I value the Barclay Arrival Plus so much. For me, Hotel status is more important than Airline status. For flights, I would rather book the best deal regardless of carrier and cover it with my Arrival Plus.