Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chip Issues Abroad?

Highlighted
City Slicker

Chip Issues Abroad?

Hi All!

I was wondering if anyone else has had issues with their Arrival + chip? In many countries, most prominently the UK, card readers have had issues with processing my chip. If you have had similar issues, how did you solve them? Thanks!

5 Replies
Nationally Recognized

Re: Chip Issues Abroad?

I've had no issues, have used chip+pin in Austria and Iceland, and chip+sign in Czech Republic.

Do any transactions work? If so, are they chip, magnetic, or online? Have you set a travel notification with Barclays?

Also, I believe one online chip+sign transaction is needed before chip+pin will work, I assume you've done that?

City Slicker

Hm, interesting. Thanks for the reply!

I've set travel notifications for each country I visit outside of the US. In every case, the transactions have been with the chip. For most countries throughout Europe, chip+sign works fine. However, there is never an option for chip+pin- something I'd prefer since it feels a bit mroe secure. In England specifically, the card readers were never able to process payment with the Arrival+ card with either the chip or magnetic strip. With other credit cards, I didn't expereince the same issues. I had heard this wasn't uncommon throughout the UK, but wasn't sure if anyone had a way to resolve the issue in some other way aside from ordering a replacement card. 

Nationally Recognized

Strange problem, especially since Barclays is based in UK!

there is never an option for chip+pin- something I'd prefer since it feels a bit mroe secure

Note that the way Arrival is set up, it only runs as chip+pin secondary. That is, when there's a cashier, it'll be chip+sign (even though every European card runs chip+pin, leaving the cashier scrambling looking for a pen); you'll only get chip+pin at unattended terminals like train ticket machines and gas pumps.

Community Manager

We can certainly understand your concern, Allieleon. Your chip card will enable you to use your card at self-service terminals where a PIN is required, although most often, you will sign for your purchases just as you always have. We want to assure you, your chip cannot be duplicated and you always 0 fraud liability. We hope this information helps. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns. Thank you. ^DJ

City Slicker

I really appreciate it! 

It's good to know the card is set up in a way where the prioritized transaction is chip+sign.