cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays chip and pin card is a useless piece of junk in Europe

City Slicker

Barclays chip and pin card is a useless piece of junk in Europe

This card does NOT work as advertised.

Not a single merchant here has treated this card as a chip-and-pin card.

Every shingle merchant treats it as a chip-and-signature card.

A call back to the USA to Barclays resulted in this corporate speak

from a Barclays agent: this is a "chip-and-pin enabled" card.

In other words, it does not have a pin, but almost zero merchants

in Europe will treat this card as a chip-and-pin, so the card's pin

is useless in practice.

I got this card for the sole reason of having both the convenience

and security of a pin in Europe. I got neither.

Barclays should simply advertise: "We provide you with a chip-and-pin enabled card that would be really useful in Europe if merchants there used the provided pin. They do not

We aplogize that almost none of them use the pin. But if you want a useless chip-and-pin card, please sign up for our card."

That would be a truthful description of this card.

6 Replies
Highlighted
City Slicker

Re: Barclays chip and pin card is a useless piece of junk in Europe

The chip and pin-enabled means that you can use the pin at unattended kiosks, but you need to sign elsewhere. Many of the other US credit cards are not pin-enabled.  To give you an example, my Chase card was not accepted at a European train station, but my Barclays card was. 

City Slicker

I understand that this card may work as a pin card in rare situations, such as unattended kiosks.  

I understand that.

My problem is that Barclays markets its chip-and-pin card as something that will *generally* work in Europe as pin-enabled card. This is totally false. The reality is that its pin is rarely used.

So Barclays markets this card in a deceptive manner.

Nationally Recognized

The unattended kiosks might be "rare situations" to you, but that's when, as the previous response said, the chip+pin on this card is clutch. At train stations in Europe, it lets you avoid the sometimes-long lines and agent fees. At gas stations in Iceland, unattended kiosks are very much the norm. That's not useless, it's exactly as advertised. Barclays is very clear on their own website, calling it "Chip and signature cards with PIN capability"

City Slicker

The gap between the marketing and the reality is far too large.

If Barclays simply advertised that this card will work at kiosks by pin and by signature everywhere else, that would be honest.   

Community Manager

Hi sfgower, Thank you for reaching out, Currently our cards are chip and signature cards with PIN capability, as most merchants in the United States, where our cards are primarily used, are using this technology. Please be assured that as more U.S. merchants make the switch to chip and PIN we will implement the use of chip and PIN priority cards. Whether you will be asked for your signature or PIN will be determined by the merchant. In most cases when you travel abroad, you'll be asked to sign for transactions. However, some unattended terminals may ask for your PIN instead. Please let us know if you have any additional questions. ^SM

Internationally Known

I certainly plan to take my arrival plus to Scotland. I know the trip is at least a year out, but I will report on my success with using the card over there.