Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arrival Premier Card Closed to New Applicants

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Re: Arrival Premier Card Closed to New Applicants

@gefe57 wrote:

BelfryBat,  you make some good points.  I looked at the Arrival Premier when it came out but it didn’t quite float my boat.  I have the card you were talking about with the $300 travel credit and I love it for travel.  The benefits are great.  I would seriously consider looking at a new and improved Arrival Premier with added benefits.  Speaking of Milton Connors, I have the premium version of that card and it's a great card also.  There is always room or I could make room for a new and improved Arrival card.

I have given that $300 card some thought, but I have been hoping that Barclays would launch an equivalent - or a close rival. That way, I could upgrade if I wanted to, but also continue to be a member of this travel community - without having 2 premium travel cards from 2 banks.

I have the no-fee version of "Milton Connors". It comes with a surprising amount of perks and benefits for a no-fee card. Now I am wating to see if I get one of those coveted upgrade offers that they hand out periodically.

For now, I want to stay with Barclays, but a revamped Premium card would be very attractive. I hope that the Moderators are reading this forum, because I do believe that the contributors on here are giving Barclays some quality feedback. I really want to see Barclays hit a grand slam with the relaunch - if they decide to do a relaunch.

City Slicker

A Barclay card worth looking at for travelers is the Uber Visa card. 4 points dining, 3 points travel, no FTF, no-fee. It compteres very favorably with the $300 card. 

Internationally Known

@Listener wrote:

A Barclay card worth looking at for travelers is the Uber Visa card. 4 points dining, 3 points travel, no FTF, no-fee. It compteres very favorably with the $300 card. 

That is a great tip!

I had a look - that card does have some nice perks. I live in a small town in a rural area, so Uber does not have much of a presence (if any) here. Otherwise, I would actually consider this one.

Internationally Known

Once Upon a Time, I had an aversion to cards with fees and having too many cards but after learning how the many perks can take care of most of the fees if not (in a few cases) provide benefits in excess of the fees I have done a 360.  With my Aspire card I have benefitted above the $450 a year fee for 2018 and plan on it for 2019 as well.  My Reserve has covered about the cost of the annual fees this year also.  I know this is a Barclay Community and I love my Arrival Plus card.  I have done quite well with the travel benefits from this card as well.  And, I am a Barclay fan other than just the Arrival Plus with three other Barclay cards.

City Slicker

The good news is that you don’t have to redeem the points toward Uber. You can redeem is as cash. I never use Uber and still find this card valuable. Also if you spend $5000 in a year, you get $50 extra cash back toward streaming services or Amazon prime membership. That’s an extra point. 

Internationally Known

@gefe57 wrote:

Once Upon a Time, I had an aversion to cards with fees and having too many cards but after learning how the many perks can take care of most of the fees if not (in a few cases) provide benefits in excess of the fees I have done a 360.  With my Aspire card I have benefitted above the $450 a year fee for 2018 and plan on it for 2019 as well.  My Reserve has covered about the cost of the annual fees this year also.  I know this is a Barclay Community and I love my Arrival Plus card.  I have done quite well with the travel benefits from this card as well.  

Yes, I did the same thing. I avoided premium cards for a long time, but now I have no problem paying a fee if the benefits are good enough. There are so many great perks, bonuses, etc being offered right now, I would hate for Barclays to get left behind. I believe that Barclays needs to be aggressive right now, and not reactionary.

Internationally Known

I agree!  I could make room in my wallet for an Arrival Premier if it had the right benefits.

Internationally Known

I often follow credit card websites to see what cards are being issued. I have also seen a massive amount of credit card commercials lately. There seems to be a lot of competition for customers right now.

I am speculating that Barclay's might relaunch the Arrival Premier (or another product) after a couple of other banks show their hands.

I cannot imagine that Barclays would go through the R&D process, meanwhile incurring a lot of expense, just to have a card open for a few weeks. The more I think about it, the more I suspect that this temporary closure is just a strategic retreat / timeout.

Internationally Known

Good thoughts BelfryBat, we can only wait and see.  If Barclay does relaunch the Premier I hope they make it an offer we can’t refuse.  Plus, hopefully they will allow upgrades.  I know upgrades don’t usually get any bonus points/miles but it would save a hard pull for a future new credit card.  I upgraded my Hilton Ascend to the Aspire, no bonus points but I got a free night out of the upgrade.  

City Slicker

Must be a challenge for a British bank to understand the US credit card market. The UK credit market is so different. Barclays only has no-fee carsds out there.