cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arrival + Being Discontinued?

Internationally Known

Re: Arrival + Being Discontinued?

I wouldn't read too much into the pulling of the card. This has happened before with this card, not all that long ago, and the only thing that was going on was that Barclays was changing its signup bonus offer. Given that the recent bonus on this card was a historical high, I'd say that's most likely what is happening again. Of course I could be wrong. Bottom line is these bloggers don't always know what is going on, and sometimes fail to take historical context into account.

Internationally Known

Re: Arrival + Being Discontinued?


@Stormtroopin2 wrote:

I wouldn't read too much into the pulling of the card. This has happened before with this card, not all that long ago, and the only thing that was going on was that Barclays was changing its signup bonus offer. Given that the recent bonus on this card was a historical high, I'd say that's most likely what is happening again. Of course I could be wrong. Bottom line is these bloggers don't always know what is going on, and sometimes fail to take historical context into account.


Well said. I am not getting too concerned yet. I suspect that for those of us who already have the card, everything will continue as normal. The card might just get reincarnated with a slightly different name or slightly different terms.

Internationally Known

Re: Arrival + Being Discontinued?

Of course, never forget that bloggers are ultimately trying to make money. There is nothing wrong with this, but as in any other type of media, dramatic headlines sell. If a blogger can make an exciting story out of this, then you know that he or she will.

Internationally Known

Re: Arrival + Being Discontinued?

So true. 

Nationally Recognized

Re: Arrival + Being Discontinued?

Hi! Haven't been on here for awhile, but came on to see what everyone is up to. I'm not sure what's going on with the Arrival + card. However over a year ago I called Barclay directly on a different Arrival + card and they said they took it off because they're going to offer it only to select people. It's been a year and my card still works, so I think it's probably just a marketing thing. I just looked on their website and I don't see any Barclay cards except a finance one available anymore. It looks like they're really marketing fee cards with airlines these days. If they ever would close it, they'd have to give you a refund of your points in one way or another. (It's happened with a few cards I've had with other companies already.) They literally send you a check if you don't choose to redeem them for gift cards. Just my thoughts.  Have a great day!

City Slicker

Re: Arrival + Being Discontinued?

Is there any new information about the future of the Arrival+ ? I like this card because it's one of few TRUE chip+pin cards offered in the USA. I used it in Paris for a boat ride on the river Seine. My Citi and Chase cards didn't work but my Barclays card did work.

City Slicker

Re: Arrival + Being Discontinued?


@germancjimenez wrote:

Is there any new information about the future of the Arrival+ ? I like this card because it's one of few TRUE chip+pin cards offered in the USA. I used it in Paris for a boat ride on the river Seine. My Citi and Chase cards didn't work but my Barclays card did work.


(Slight?) nitpick: I define "true" chip and PIN as one where PIN is asked for with most/all transactions. The Arrival+ is definitely not that as the PIN's only asked for at unattended terminals and not in-person ones.

 

As for the future of the Arrival+, I'm not sure, but their other cards should all have the same PIN functionality as it (at least they did when I had the Aviator card, anyway).

Internationally Known

Re: Arrival + Being Discontinued?

Does anyone know yet if the arrival card (plus, premier, or no fee version) is returning?  Or else, is there any other barclay product that links with the travel community?  I think I have finally convinced my sister to start sharing her travels on here, but obviously, right now she cannot get any of these cards.

Internationally Known

Re: Arrival + Being Discontinued?


@creedeva wrote:

Does anyone know yet if the arrival card (plus, premier, or no fee version) is returning?  Or else, is there any other barclay product that links with the travel community?  I think I have finally convinced my sister to start sharing her travels on here, but obviously, right now she cannot get any of these cards.


I have not heard anything, but it would be great if these cards do make a return. Hopefully she can become a member soon.

 

I really hope Barclays reads the comments on here because I think the posters really gave Barclays some useful suggestions about making the arrival premiere a successful card should they decide to relaunch it.

Internationally Known

Re: Arrival + Being Discontinued?

OK, I'm changing my tone from two months ago. I'm now concerned about the future of this card, and by extension, this site. Here's where I'm coming from:

 

We know historically it was fairly common for Barclays to temporarily prohibit new applications for the Arrival family while the sign up bonus was being changed. However, I cannot recall it ever taking over two months to do so. That's a long time to have exactly zero new customers for a product.

 

Perhaps more concerning is the state of this site. Photos have not displayed for three or more days straight, and I don't believe a single word of reassurance has yet come from the moderators. We typically get at least an, "We are aware of the issue and are working on it." from a mod. 

 

I would also contend that the nature of this latest tech failure (no pics displayed) is possibly the most serious site issue to date, looking at it from Barclay's perspective. The site's appeal is more from photos than anything else. A picture is worth a thousand words, while stories need only have a hundred. No picture with your story? No points. The site is pointless without pics (see what I did there?). I believe the site was intended for more than just existing cardholders. It is to draw in the masses and hopefully guide them to the Arrival Plus. None of that happens without lots of cool pix. So if I am Barclay's, this situation would be far more troubling than random bouts of nuisance spam, point counters not working, or even missing the monthly points payout dates (all of which we've seen before). This photo issue goes to the heart of the functioning of this site from Barclay's point of view (to draw people in). The fact that we haven't heard a peep from mods about it, coupled with the card being off the market for two months, is very concerning. I sure hope I have this all wrong. Thoughts?