cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where were you 18 years ago on 9/11?

Internationally Known

Re: Where were you 18 years ago on 9/11?

Thank you all for your kind words.

I really just scratched the surface with my post. What really got to us was the stuff the public was generally not aware of. 

We lived through constant rumors of gas leaks and potential building collapses (6 buildings around the former World Trade Center did collapse, buildings in Battery Park City were supposed to be next). We experienced daily bomb threats, street closures and evacuations throughout NYC because some unstable folks made anonymous calls threatening to blow up entire neighborhoods. Fighter jets who controlled the airspace over NYC made frequent flyovers, a nerve wrecking experience. Sirens of emergency vehicles and fire trucks that rushed to the WTC site because they found new human remains where heard day and night for weeks and weeks (we really could not understand why this was necessary because every time we thought something new happened). The fire at the WTC site burned until mid December and we had to wear masks every time we went outside. All our neighborhood stores were either closed, contaminated or destroyed and we had to walk one hour to the next restaurant. The once so beautiful winter garden (which is now Brookfield Place) was converted into a morgue with hundreds of bodies...and so on.

I can not even imagine what @gefe57’s son and his parents went through. Their experience must have been so much worse than ours. I have the highest respect for those who sacrifice their life to protect our freedom. Think about all these women and men who are deployed in some foreign country...

Although I was lucky enough to just miss 3 bomb explosions (Munich Octoberfest 1980, WTC in NYC in 1993 and London in the mid 90s) I never experienced a war or war zone. The attack on the WTC came close to it, mainly because we lived in the neighborhood.

Wouldn’t it be nice if we were able to solve our political and religious differences in a peaceful way? Travel is a great tool. It opens our minds and we can learn from other cultures. Let’s spread the word, maybe we can change a thing or two? I look forward to reading your stories...

Internationally Known

LikeTraveling,  I have no doubt that you barely scratched the surface on the details of that horrific time.  Everyone percevered, pulled together and like throughout our country’s history the U.S. bounced back, but not without another huge scar.  I haven’t had the opportunity to have ever visited NYC yet but when we do we will for sure visit the memorial.  

City Slicker

My parents were over from England and had left my house in Ohio heading to New York, hours later it all started. I was horrified and then sick to my stomach knowing they were headed there and they had no cell phone to reach them or anything. Hours later I got a call from them that they had seen the news when they stopped for a drink and we not going there and coming back. I was gratfeul but saddened at one of the worse days in history during my life so far.

Internationally Known

I was in my office without knowing what was going on when the Flight 11 crashed into the north tower. Then, my colleague next to my office knocked the door and told me an unbeleivable story. I thought he was joking. We rushed together to a conference room where a TV is. Already there were a lot of people watching live what was going on in NY. Some of us still thought it was an accident or something. In a few minutes of watching, we were all frozen and shocked to see live scene of the Flight 175 crashing into the south tower. One of the colleagues immediately mentioned Osama Bin Laden. I called my wife and other family members. 

Highlighted
Internationally Known

LikeTraveling, I recently wrote a story on Brookfield Place and had no idea there was a winter garden there before or that the area was used as a morgue with hundreds of bodies after the attack. Wow.  

Internationally Known

Wow @liketraveling.  Such a heartbreaking story. Thank you for sharing it with the community.