cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is the rule/consensus for cities that allow >5 stories because of different zip codes?

Nationally Recognized

Where is the rule/consensus for cities that allow >5 stories because of different zip codes?

I think this came up once before, but I'm not sure what the offical ruling or group consensus is on the issue:  I've noticed that I could theoretically do more than five stories for some cities if I enter the zip code in for the location (i.e., there are places I've done five stories for, but if I enter a particular zip code within that city it doesn't give me the "oops!" warning about being maxed out at five).  

I have not gone in and added more stories for those cities, as I'm not sure if that's against the rules or against the general sense of right/wrong among the community here.  So I guess I'm asking if A) the moderators think it is ok to do stories by zip code even though we would end up with potentially more stories per city name, and B) whether we, collectively, as a community think it is ok to do this.  Thoughts?  

23 Replies
Internationally Known

Re: Where is the rule/consensus for cities that allow >5 stories because of different zip codes?

I am not sure this is the official version but I don’t consider it cheating or unfair if locals regard those places as a separate town or city.

Examples that come to mind are Tokyo with its many cities within the city, San Diego where the entire county is considered to be San Diego although in reality places like La Jolla, Mira Mesa etc. are separate towns and locals refer to them by their name, New York City where Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx or Staten Island are a totally different world from Manhattan and from each other, Hong Kong with Hong Kong Island and Kowloon etc. etc. There are many more that would fit those criteria.

Not all places are equal though. It should be the exception rather then the general rule. Just my two cents but maybe I am wrong.

Internationally Known

Re: Where is the rule/consensus for cities that allow >5 stories because of different zip codes?

I agree that there is value in adding stories about huge cities.  I would hate to not hear about a rare gem you found on a second trip to London because you did five stories hitting the big highlights on your last trip.  If the story adds to the community, I appreciate it.  Using zips to do a tenth story on the local McDonalds in a town of 300 is a little much...  Of course, to each their own!

Nationally Recognized

That's a really good point (using >5 stories for large cities/places with a lot to see and discuss vs. trying to "pad" your story number with lame content).  I'm guessing this would be a somewhat self-correcting issue since only larger cities would have the potential for multiple zips and therefore >5 stories.

Internationally Known

The rule per moderator is “5 cities per google map listing”   ….which is open to interpretation, in my opinion

If there is a strict 5 stories only per city rule, I think it should be enforced evenly and fairly, but that ship has sailed. As long as someone is providing legitimate content, I'm fine with it. A Mcdonalds story and excessive repetitive content seems to be breaking the rules, but not sure what to do about it as the rules are all loosely defined.   

Internationally Known

If I can get my brain to work right now I’ll add my two cents.  I remember a comment from one of the moderators that in essence said they do not look at the content of the stories about locations, they rely on the pre-loaded locations on Google Maps for the 5 story limit.  So, if the city name is listed and then the different zip codes are listed that means 5 stories per location rule applies for each allowable location.  Cheating?  I don’t think so because if their system allows it I wouldn’t consider it cheating.  Just my thoughts.  

Internationally Known

I Agree with Gefe57. That is my interpretation as well. 

Nationally Recognized

I agree with what many others have said. I don't think using zip codes is agaist the rules but I'd hate for it to be abused. I wish that larger cities could be broken down into neighborhoods (i.e. Kensington and Westminster in London) so that we could most more stories especially about lesser known attractions. It would also helpful in terms of search functionality.

It's strange to me that this works in some cities since I've had trouble using smaller towns and villages in some parts of the world. I guess that's just where the focus is.

Internationally Known

I agree that using zip codes is fine as long as the content is good. LIke someone else said, I don't want to see a story on McDonalds...If they didn't want us to use them, then they wouldn't be available to use.  

Going to a city like Rome, you will see a ton of stuff, eat at restaurants that you want to recommend to the community and find hidden, off the beaten path stuff to share as well. That stuff is great and I love reading it and visiting those places myself. 

Internationally Known

I don't seem to figure out how the zip code thing works. A city like New York, there are tons of interesting places and stuffs to describe, but I could not figure out how to write more than 5 myself. Can anyone write a bit detail on how?