cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User Name Guidelines

Internationally Known

User Name Guidelines

I searched for an answer to my question and found some info in the Registrations Requirements section but it did not definitively answer my question.  Some of the verbiage could vaguely apply but nothing concrete.  So I guess my question is for mostly for the moderators but I’m open for all answers.  For our user names is it really acceptable to have a “Political Slogan” as a user name?   Some might find this offensive and in my opinion political views do not belong on this site.  There have been stories about political events that are not promoting politics in one way or another and those should not cause issues with anyone, but I am very curious about members expressing policy views.  Any thoughts or answers?  I personally do not like to talk about politics and I also dislike others pushing their political views on me and this community.  We have a very diverse travel community here and it works because we all show respect towards each other.  

10 Replies
Internationally Known

Re: User Name Guidelines

I agree - let's keep it non-partisan on here. I have been to (and through) the new Border Fence, some Border Patrol checkpoints, and the Border Patrol Museum on my recent trips. I wrote some articles about these experiences, but I tried very hard to present just the facts and some useful information, but never any opinion. I do the same when visiting Civil War Battlefields/Monuments, etc.

As far as I am concerned, it is perfectly okay to write about experiences that might involve hot button issues (like when you are visiting a State Capitol and suddenly find yourself in the middle of a rally), but I agree - no opinions please.

Internationally Known

Thank you Belfrybat.  I went back and forth, wrote and deleted a couple times and finally decided to go ahead write the post.  I don't like to offend people so I struggled about the right way to say what was on my mind. 

Internationally Known

This is one of two places on the Internet where I feel it is truly a community in the way that utopian-minded web pioneers intended. The two things I can point to as reasons why is because the structure Barclays has set up for us (ie - there are rules and guidelines for posting/using this site) and that us users all seem to be respectful in the way we relate to one another. Gefe57, I haven't seen any blatantly political posts, but I agree with you and BelfryBat and I think he is a great example of how to write about sensitive topics in this particular forum. I myself have gone back and forth about whether or not to add "this was traditionally [insert Native people]'s land" on many of my US posts, as I see that more as an acknowledgement than a political statement, but I am also aware that it could be construed as political. Since I am ultimately of the opinion of Mark Twain, that "travel is fatal to prejudice" and the users of this site, as frequent travelers, are most often well aware of the underbelly of the history of pretty much any place any of us are going, I see it as overkill to explicitly opine on politically-charged tensions. Being political in our posts takes away from the very real lifting up that I think we all feel from being here. That's such a fragile thing in the world, and I would much rather have us continue to lift each other up and be respectful to one another even when we disagree or have constructive criticism to offer.

Internationally Known

Good thoughts Echochaser. I believe that this post was in reference to an individual who is using a blatantly partisan username.

Internationally Known

Echochaser21,  I agree with all, as Belfrybat said, I was refering to a certain user name that is an obvious political statement.  I really have no problem with someone having their political views but the problem I have is this is not the place to tout them.  Agree or disagree with the individual, makes no difference to me either way, just not here.

Internationally Known

Totally agree gefe57, I saw the user name which I thought was in very poor taste.  We're here to be inspired, help others, and share about travel. Period.

Internationally Known

Thanks Ed.  I tried to word it diplomatically and not step on any toes.

Internationally Known

@gefe57 wrote:

Thanks Ed.  I tried to word it diplomatically and not step on any toes.

Yes, I think you did a good job of wording that. We are a very diverse lot on here and we have a very diverse readership. We need to respect that and we are all doing a good job of this.

This is the most polite and professional group of bloggers I have ever encountered in Internet land.

Internationally Known

Ah, I see. Well, haven't seen that user, myself (or, I don't think I have), because it must have been something fairly obvious! Yes, I would agree - everybody is absolutely entitled to their opinion but this is not the forum.