cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Kudo up front ... or backwards from the beginning?

Internationally Known

Re: To Kudo up front ... or backwards from the beginning?

I have absolutely no strategy. I just try to be fair and I have a general idea of who kudos me and I try to kudo them in return - whether it is right away, as they are posting, or later on. I may change my strategy down the road…sometimes I can’t even remember who I just kudo’d! I just hate the thought of keeping track of another thing. Keeping track of stories is hard enough! 

Internationally Known

I have the same strategy as Trips4me, basically none.  I know who Kudo's me and I have faith that they do.  I don't need to see their name every time I pull up a notification page.  If I have more kudos to give once I have taken care of recent posts, I'll go back to get some old ones, particularry for the people who kudo, but don't have a lot of recent posts.  One of the things I find helpful is the related stories next to the story I am reading.  If I see a related story from a writer who deserves to be kudoed, I'll jump over there and kudo that one as well.  That is a good way to give a kudo to a member who has been contributing for a long time.

Internationally Known

@trips4me and @traveler917, keeping track of where you left off is in the end very convenient and saves a lot of time if you kudo frequently and in particular those who write a lot of stories. It also keeps me disciplined which is a good thing as I tend to be lazy if not pressured.

Agree with you both that it seems to be even easier at first glance to do nothing at all but going through every single page to find stories that you haven’t kudoed yet can ultimately be a real pain in the neck. And thanks to @stormtroopin2 and @markr867, we found ways to jump around pages, that really was a lifesaver!

Well, I guess everyone will find his/her own way of doing things. But it’s great to see you both actively participating in this community, unless some others who are just focused on themselves and totally forget to spread the kudo love. 

Thanks to you all, I already have so many ideas for future travels although I just came back from a multi week long trip through the Baltic region. All I would need is a money tree...

Internationally Known

Can you share the trick for jumping around pages? That is been a big problem for me. I’ve always had to go from the front page and work my way towards the back or the back page toward the front, it’s kind a hard when you head towards the middle. 

Internationally Known

I started a discussion in "All things community" on 05/06/19 titled "Digging into users' past travel stories and a way to give kudos"

Here is a copy of my original post which also discussed through later comments how to skip pages on a tablet or phone...you might want to check out the original discussion...

"I believe it was @Stromtroopin2 a long time ago who showed us how to dig around in past stories most efficiently and I have used this system ever since (works best for me on a desktop). Thought I bring it up again for those who are fairly new to this community.

Guess everybody knows how to read somebody's stories. Click on the author's name, then click on "view profile" and you will see all the stories ever written by this author.

Now if you want to read past stories, you have basically two options:

1) you can go back page by page by clicking on "next" below the posts you see on that page (which can be very time consuming if you want to read say page 50 or so) or

2) you can click on one of the numbers that you see below the pictures (< previous 1 2 3 ...334 next>) and change the page in the search bar on top of your screen. The last number you see in the search bar is the page. Change it manually to whatever page you would like to see and press enter.

This is in particular helpful if you want to give kudos for past travel stories (as you might have already given kudos for the most recent ones). You can give only one kudo per story, ever."

Internationally Known

Thanks for the shout out, @LikeTraveling!

While excellently summarized above, anyone interested in seeing the referenced thread on page jumping can view it here:

https://www.barclaycardtravel.com/t5/All-Things-Community/Page-Jumping-Made-Easy/m-p/2318000

Internationally Known

I am not a particularly methodical person (which is perhaps weird because I *also* love spreadsheets... I'm a Gemini through and through, I guess), so while I keep a spreadsheet for my travel stories, I do not have one for my kudos. If I have kudoed everything on a user's front page, I'll go back a page, and then after that I'll just enter a random number at the end of the url in the @stormtroopin2 method because like @RJeanR, I like surprises. :-) If the stories I find there are ones I've kudoed already, I'll just pick another random page number.

With users with fewer stories, I might go back-to-front or front-to-back and kudo all their stories, but with some of our more prolific community members, it's like a fun bonus for me to see if I land somewhere I haven't seen before! I will also gladly get distracted by the sidebar if it's a username I recognize as an active user. Sometimes that's it's own kind of fun, too - to see (and kudo) multiple users' impressions of the same place at different times.

Internationally Known

@echochaser21, I also enter a random number at the end of the url and hope I hit a page I haven’t kudo’d before. It works for me, but probably isn’t the best in the long run.  I totally agree with your “fun bonus” comment! Although the longer I use this method it probably won’t be so much fun when I keep landing on pages I’ve kudo’d already.

So, the methodical approach others use, kind of makes sense. But I also think if everyone does that, it will be boring. Idk, I might try a few different approaches from now on and see what works best. 

And I haven’t paid much attention to the sidebars, but glad you mentioned it, as I might start giving kudos to those as well! But not today, as I’m in kudo jail!