cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thank you travel community - it was a great help planning my trip to Iceland

Highlighted
Internationally Known

Re: Thank you travel community - it was a great help planning my trip to Iceland

Wow!  This info makes me anxious about renting a car whenever we can get our Iceland trip planned.  It sounds like it would be safer to just pay for a couple tours. 

Highlighted
County Wise

Re: Thank you travel community - it was a great help planning my trip to Iceland

Iceland is about the size of Ohio, so not sure I'd want to be limited to organized tours.  Not my style of travel, personally.  I generally take extensive photos/videos of a rental car at pickup time.  Obvious at times difficult when pickup is during the dark hours or cars are in a parking garage, but do your best.  Then, at return time, do the same and if they claim damage, inform them that you have before and after picks and will be disputing every unwarranted charge.  In my experience (not Iceland) that will likely resolve the issue as it isn't worth their time dealing with someone like me :)

Highlighted
Nationally Recognized

@gefe57 wrote:

Wow!  This info makes me anxious about renting a car whenever we can get our Iceland trip planned.  It sounds like it would be safer to just pay for a couple tours. 

No, just make sure you get the insurance or go with a name brand (Hertz / Avis) if you're worried. My advice is to take lots of pics and video *before* they even hand over the keys to you. Inside, outside, top to bottom and underneath. I think the horror stories are coming from locally owned and, perhaps, shady shops. Just Google the rental agencies that have cruddy reviews and reputations. Also, take it with a grain of salt. I'm sure most folks renting are honest and careful but a lot of the folks renting will trash the rentals or go where it's not supposed to be driven because hey, it's not their car. And they get the whammy from rock dings and careless behavior and act all surprised.

If you, the renter, can prove with pictures and video before you leave the rental agency that you did nothing wrong to the car you will always have a much stronger case against false accusations. I used TrueCar, bought insurance and took video and pictures of everything before I let them give me the keys. I had no issues. I stuck to the speed limit, did not go offroading and was careful around gravel and dirt roads. YMMV.

I too am not a fan of tour groups but don't let the horror stories dissuade you from renting. The rental cost and gas prices might though. =)